- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Chief Risk Officer - Australia Who we are
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
What we do
Northern Trust's international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Since 1986, we have been serving clients in Asia-Pacific (APAC), including corporate pension funds, investment managers, insurance companies, government agencies, family offices and corporations. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
As the Chief Risk Officer - Australia, you will be responsible for embedding our risk framework in the Australia Branch as well as business activities taking place in Australia for other Northern Trust legal entities. This will involve providing local oversight and leadership to the risk activities in Australia. The role will be a senior management position in Australia and the successful candidate will be a member of the local management team.
The principal activities for Australia Branch are, fund administration, asset servicing, group treasury, brokerage and securities lending.
The role will report functionally to the APAC Chief Risk Officer and locally to the Head of Australia Branch.
What you will do
- Provides Risk Management and Leadership Oversight for NT Activities (and associated Risk/Compliance Functions) in Australia including Liquidity Risk, Credit and Counterparty Risk, Operational Risk and Compliance Risk.
- Works closely with the CEO of the Australia Branch, the Australia Executive Team and the SOOA, to understand current and planned business activities and to identify, assess and mitigate risks in the business and embed a risk culture.
- Be a senior contact point for local regulators and where appropriate other visiting regulators e.g. APRA, ASIC, FRB, etc.
- Reports locally to Head of Australia Branch and functionally to APAC CRO and be a trusted advisor to both.
- Has full appreciation of prudential regulatory requirements, credit risk issues, compliance risk, BEAR and market/regulatory developments and ability to assess impact and identify associated risk issues.
- Local management of Australia Risk and Compliance function and team.
- Working with Risk and Compliance partners globally, ensuring appropriate interaction with regional and global Risk and Compliance functions.
- Assist the Australia businesses in managing the operational risks in those businesses and assist in setting up the appropriate frameworks to manage those operational risks.
- Participate in Group-wide and regional risk forums as appropriate.
- Extensive experience in risk and compliance, (15-20 years with vast majority in either professional services firm or relevant financial institution)
- Experience working across multiple international destinations with the ability to operate effectively in a global matrix structure.
- Professional and or appropriate 3rd level Qualification (Accountancy/Legal/Audit/Compliance)
- Extensive experience of Banking/Asset Servicing /Fund Administration/Capital Markets
- Meaningful exposure to risk and compliance and a clear appreciation of internal Control/Governance and Oversight ability to operate on/at board level
- Proven ability to manage in a changing business environment
- Proven track record in understanding and managing regulatory change
Your Personal Characteristics
- Strong leadership qualities and executive presence
- Ability to drive change agenda
- Clear /logical thinker
- Appropriately assertive - confident to challenge
- Smart/articulate - strong communication skills/interpersonal skills
- Management experience (Small /professional teams)
As of March 31, 2019, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $10.9 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $8.2 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.2 trillion in assets under management
- $122 billion in banking assets
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
- Want to learn more about our company? Visit northerntrust.com
- We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades!
For a private discussion please contact Gez Williams on +61 3 9935 8204.