- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana.
A member of the BHP Group, Nickel West is undergoing an exciting business transformation to become a globally significant supplier of battery materials to the electric vehicle market. Nickel West will soon become the world’s largest producer of Nickel Sulphate, a key ingredient in lithium-ion batteries. As the world’s largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
Nickel West has an exciting future ahead. We invite you to join us at Nickel West as we seek to energize our future.
About the role
Geophysicist Nickel West | Perth
- Competitive salary on offer plus 12%superannuation and a range of company benefits
- Nickel West is positioned well to energiseour future
- Nickel West value and respect employees,offering an inclusive and diverse environment
- BHP Nickel West actively supports a diverseworkforce and encourages Female and Indigenous applicants to apply
The role is part of the Exploration team, working with Resource development and mining operation Geology to provide a step change in resource knowledge and target generation obtained from largely from Electromagnetic (EM) methods in conjunction with Seismic, Gravimetric and Magnetic data, developing and implementing interpretation workflows, processing standards and driving technological innovation in these areas.
More specifically, the role will be to:
- Develop and leadQI geophysics, and more broadly advanced EM interpretation and processingdisciplines, for BHP Nickel West
- Champion andmanage continuous improvement and best practice in the discipline, throughinternal collaboration with our parts of BHP as well as externalengagement with discipline leaders
- Lead geophysicaldata acquisition and campaigns across Nickel west tenements
- Upskill staff onunderstanding applications and limitations of advanced techniques. Thiswill involve training, development of best practice workflows, highquality reporting and communication of deliverables
- Proactively engagewith stakeholders to maintain alignment with key business objectives andpriorities, and to ensure value impact of specialist geophysics ismaximise
- Collaborate withother SMEs (e.g. mineral system and structural geologists, resourceengineers) to deliver integrated project outcomes that seemlessly feedinto and add value to the mine planning process
- Develop andmaintain research and technology roadmaps, to identify projects andinitiatives that will deliver maximum impact to BHP Nickel West operationsand software solutions that will improve the use of QI and other advancedinterpretation techniques
- Provide advice onadvanced interpretation and processing as required to other parts of BHP
- A Bachelor (B. Sc.App. or equivalent) in geophysics or higher degree is required
- Hands-on,specialist experience in a multi-disciplinary environment and at scalesranging from regional basin framework studies to detailed deposit scale
- Demonstratedtechnical leadership and experience
- A motivated andenergetic person with the ability to effectively communicate and influencethrough their technical expertise
- Visible safetyleadership
- Extensiveexperience in advanced processing and interpretation of airborne andground EM data, including high level of mastery of a range of advancedapplications such as and 3D modeling of DH EM Plates interpretation
- Frequentinteraction with stakeholders within Nickel Geoscience and Sites,requiring the ability to engage with wide range of people
- Excellentcommunication skills to develop and embed best practice workflows andpromote knowledge sharing
- Proficiency in useof industry common geophysical software packages to develop geologicalmodels
- ms project
About the company
BHP Billiton is the world's largest mining company. Its origin comes from the merger (2001) of the Australian company Broken Hill Proprietary (BHP) and the British company Billiton.