- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
This role is based in Adelaide, offering quality standard of living without the high costs of most other Australian capital cities. Adelaide offers a Mediterranean climate, beach-side lifestyle, cosmopolitan cafés and restaurants and world class wine regions just an hour away. All this plus an annual international festivals and events calendar makes Adelaide a vibrant, cultured, friendly environment to live, work and play in.
One of Australia’s largest mines and a complex minerals processing operation, Olympic Dam, is unique in that we produce Copper, Uranium, Gold and Silver. The local township of Roxby Downs is an active and progressive community offering a variety of modern, well-equipped housing, educational, health, sporting, leisure, shopping and cultural facilities.
Please note this position is for a 24 month fixed term role initially based in Adelaide, operating on a 5/2 roster with travel to Olympic Dam as required. This role will transition through to Olympic Dam based when the project is in execution phase, with FIFO or residential options available.
About the role
In this role you will provide leadership, coaching and expert advice on all Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) matters to Olympic Dam Asset Projects, directly supporting study and delivery phases of Major Shutdowns (SCM21). In this role, you will collaborate with key stakeholders and provide advice and coaching so that risks with HSE impacts are effectively managed through all phases of SCM21 and associated projects.
This will include management of HSE related risks, implementation of HSE in Design concepts, supporting analysis of HSE performance data to identify improvement opportunities, and supporting the teams in the study and delivery phases of SCM21. The role will focus on promoting a proactive HSE culture and HSE prevention through design in all phases of the Minerals Australia Project Management Framework.
- Be accountable for the delivery of mandated HSE support and service for allocated portfolio of projects
- Partner with Project/Studies Teams to support the identification of relevant HSE Risks for Projects through quality and effective HSE risk assessments and workshops
- Drive HSE in design processes through all phases of project development
- Delivery of HSEC study chapter requirements to enable safe and sustainable gating of the project
- Provide HSE input to the design and establishment of HSE standards, procedures and systems for Capital Projects within the Minerals Australia Projects Framework and Internal Standard
- Manage HSE systems and data quality related to SCM21. Undertaking analytics activities for HSE data including benchmarking, developing key performance metrics and insight development
- Support line management in building an understanding of, and compliance with, relevant HSE Our Requirements (GLD) and legal requirements
- Coach Field Leadership activities, offer support and technical guidance to build a safety leadership culture and enhance understanding of compliance relevant to company and legal requirements
- Coach line management on the quality and effectiveness of HSE risk assessments, event investigations and corrective actions
- Provide leadership, support and technical guidance to Project teams
- Develop and deliver HSE content for upskilling of project owner’s teams and contractor personnel
- Facilitate the communication between workgroups to ensure consistency in HSE systems, processes, procedures and goals
- Manage, control, monitor and participate in the execution of work that is the accountability of the HSE Function
- Review and monitor contractor HSE performance and delivery to the project HSEC Management Plan
- Tertiary degree in relevant field (e.g. engineering, science, risk, HSE)
- Typically minimum 7 year of relevant industry/major projects experience (Minerals Processing/Industrial Construction/Oil and Gas)
- Demonstrated ability to reliably deliver team results and meet deadlines
- Leading change initiatives under difficult circumstances
- Ability to engage and work effectively with both internal and external stakeholders. Influence diverse teams
- Superior acumen for HSE data analytics and business intelligence platforms
- Understanding of South Australian H&S legislation
- Working knowledge of regulatory HSE policies and procedures and their implementation in the mining and processing sector, including Major Hazard Facility (MHF) requirements
- Experience in managing contractors and deliverables to a schedule and budget
- Experience in providing HSE leadership and support to brownfields projects in an operational environment
- Superior understanding of databases and database processes with the ability to identify opportunities to automate HSE processes and reporting
About the company
BHP Billiton is the world's largest mining company. Its origin comes from the merger (2001) of the Australian company Broken Hill Proprietary (BHP) and the British company Billiton.