- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.Come and be a part of this success.
Join Olympic Dam a safe, reliable, globally competitive business delivered by our people. At Olympic Dam we care that everyone goes home safe to do the things they love. We believe Leadership drive culture and culture drives performance. All incidents are preventable and everyone has a role to play.Our OperationsOne of Australia’s largest mines and a complex minerals processing operation, Olympic Dam, is unique in that we produce Copper, Uranium, Gold and Silver. The local township of Roxby Downs is an active and progressive community offering a variety of modern, well equipped housing, educational, health, sporting, leisure, shopping and cultural facilities.
About the role
Reporting to the Manager Surface Production UGS you will lead a diverse team overseeing the operational excellence, improvement and execution support for the secondary metals streams (U, Au, Ag & EW Cu) at Olympic Dam, as well as the Surface Operations Safety, Training & Production Work Management teams. The role requires identification, development and execution of improvements to maximise the value of our secondary metals stream.Please note this position can be based at Olympic Dam operating on a 5/2 roster, with residential or FIFO to Adelaide options available.In this role you will:
- Be first and foremost focused on creating a culture of care by being a visible safety leader, engaging, developing and coaching your team
- Prioritise safety first, lead people, understand and manage risk, create vision and follow a plan to achieve the vision
- Ensure the health and safety of your people, key plant metrics and budget are achieved, which will ensure a strong production result
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve productivity, efficiency and cost effectiveness within areas of responsibility
- Ensure that production KPIs are measured against budget and implement and/or manage initiatives to ensure compliance to KPIs
- Lead BHP’s Operating Model and Visual Workplace for your areas, engaging the workforce and delivering on KPIs.
- Integrate with Maintenance counterparts to ensure effective, pro-actively planned maintenance
- Prepare, manage and review the operating budgets for area of responsibility to ensure delivery of these KPIs
- Monitor and report against main cost drivers monthly and recommend control and cost reduction opportunities
- Provide leadership and guidance to your team with an emphasis on continual development
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships within the department to share knowledge, contacts, experience and expertise in order to achieve the department business plan
- Ensure all statutory reporting requirements are met
- Demonstrate the confidence to lead by example, hold yourself and others accountable and coach others in safety leadership
- Engineering or Science Qualifications desirable, as are Management, or Leadership qualifications
- Several years’ experience with Hydrometallurgical, Solvent Extraction, Refineries and/or Precious Metal Recovery Assets
- Demonstrated experience in leading technical professionals, as well as proactive engagement with operations personnel
- Experience in mine to mill planning processes is highly desirable
- Experience in project management processes and mining industry project toll-gating is also highly regarded
- Well-developed analytical and critical assessment skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including presentation skills
- Ability to communicate across multiple levels and disciplines
- Computer literacy in MS suite of programs
- A valid manual driver’s licence is preferred
About the company
BHP Billiton is the world's largest mining company. Its origin comes from the merger (2001) of the Australian company Broken Hill Proprietary (BHP) and the British company Billiton.