Global Allinace for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) May 2017 - November 2017As Senior National Advisor SUN Business Network: Develop SUN Business Network strategy in consultation with Industry and key stakeholders and create a platform to engage businesses in nutrition;
• Strategy: Develop national SUN Business Network strategy in consultation with key industries, government and development partners working in the food and nutrition sector,
• Advocacy: Ensure that private sector is recognized and engaged in the fight against malnutrition in the various national and regional nutrition forums and nutrition continue to be a priority national agenda,
• Coordination and partnership: Coordinate with key stakeholders in nutrition and create an enabling environment for industries to strive in addressing malnutrition by creating a sustainable platform of engagement through the SUN Business Network,
• Technical support: Undertake mapping and profiling of the various industries, markets, and financing institution.
GAIN(Global Alliance for Imrpoved Nutrition) April 2012 - April 2017Responsible for the overall management of the national program;
• Develop country strategy and positioned GAIN as dependable partner,
• Technical support: Assess and design projects with a team of experts, provide technical guidance to implementing partners by undertaking joint monitoring visits to improve quality of program implementation
• Advocacy: Actively involved in development of Food and Nutrition policy and revision of the National Nutrition Programme (NNPII) and formulation of the national food and nutrition policy and Seqota Declaration and advocate for increased resources, advocate for engagement of the private sector and food fortification in the country,
• Partnership collaborations: Provided training, lectures and participate on panel discussions in collaboration with IFPRI, AHN Academy, Universities, Embassies, Associations & Research organizations, represent GAIN in AUC, Micronutrient Forum, IFPRI, SUN GG, Nutrition Development Partners meetings
Director of Millennium Development Ethiopia
Millennim Villages Project September 2006 - March 2012• Strategy & Start-ups: Design and set up 5 years multi-sector project in health & nutrition, water, agriculture, education, infrastructure, natural resources, gender & community development and ICT with a team of experts & respective government sectors with the aim of attaining MDGs,
• Programme operations: develop annual work plan & budgets, managed procurement, channel Millennium Villages Project funds, & oversee HR & Admin,
• Technical support and M&E: design innovative community-based school meal program, provided on-the-job-training on management of sever acute malnutrition, optimal IYCF practices to grassroots health workers, review of survey tools, training of enumerators, analysis, write up and publish project results, led the development of agri-businesses in the millennium villages such as beekeeping, tomato processing, diary & sericulture by women & farmer groups,
• Partnership building: establish strong partnership with government & community key stakeholders.
GOAL April 2005 - September 2006Coordinate national emergency nutrition program and managed sub-grants of 6 M USD for OFDA/USAID Rapid Response program;
• Undertake numerous nutrition surveys, set up 3 CMAM project in drought hotspot districts, set up supplementary and general ration food distribution in Afar region,
• Presented project results for national level scale up of CMAM, capacity building of MoH staff and GOAL staff on management of acute malnutrition, compile & develop training manual, provide TA to NGOs awarded with sub-grant, advocate for national rollout of CMAM though the HEP that was successful institutionalized at national level,
• Supervised over 20 international and national staff, wrote proposals for rapid response program, wrote quarterly,
• Private sector engagement: assist Hilina Food Processing Plc, in facilitating franchising agreement with Nutriset to set up PlumpyNut production factory in Addis Abeba,
• Represented GOAL in national and regional interagency meetings and conferences.
Nutrition Programme Manager in Malawi & Ethiopia
Concern Wroldwide March 2002 - June 2004Managed national nutrition programs in Ethiopia & Malawi;
• Supervised over 30 international & national staff, provided technical support and training to nutrition teams, compiled CTC/CMAM manual, developed proposals for different donors such as Ireland Aid, ECHO and UN,
• Analysed and interpret routine CMAM output monitoring data and write up monthly reports & undertaken nutrition surveys & present findings in forums, set-up a new CTC program in Nkhotakota district in Malawi & Damote Weyde Woreda in Ethiopia, actively participated in the development of SAM national guideline in Ethiopia,
• Represented CWW in all nutrition related coordination forums in Malawi & Ethiopia, actively involved in MoH Nutrition task force, coordinated a national CTC dissemination seminar in Malawi,
• Managed a local production of PlumpyNut (RUTF) in Nambuma , Malawi.
• Coordinated all food and non-food supplies for the community based nutrition program in collaboration with WFP, UNICEF and Government.
National Nutrition Programme Assistant
UNWFP March 2001 - January 2002Responsible for coordination of emergency response in Oromiya Region;
• Coordination: set-up an Emergency Nutrition Coordination Unit (ENCU) in Oromiya & improve timely reporting of surveys & assessments by DDPC,
• Capacity building: trained field nutrition workers, zonal level health professionals & Regional disaster workers on techniques of nutrition surveys, data analysis, standardize reporting, setting up of feeding programs and on food aid targeting and monitoring & created a capacity at Regional level to assess and respond to emergencies in a timely manner,
• Assessment: undertaken rapid situation assessments in Arsi & nutrition surveys with MSF-H and Federal DPPC & present finding in the national coordination forum,
• Operations: Undertaken hand-grinding mills pilot project in Irob district of Eastern Tigray, which was affected by the Ethio-Eritrea war & undertake situation assessment of the condition of IDPs in the region.
Assistant Project Officer (Temporary Fixed Term)
UNICEF June 1999 - December 2000Responsible for the coordination of UNNICEF emergency nutrition response in Ethiopia & Acting Officer-in-Charge in Somali Region, Jijiga Field office;
• Established & chaired a national Multi-Agency nutrition task force spearheaded by UNICEF,
• Undertook training of trainers for middle level health professionals & survey enumerators to assess food and Non-food needs, produced emergency situation reports, assisted DPPC in the identification of areas for supplementary food & developed a system of screening the most vulnerable groups using MUAC, actively involved in the annual nationwide pre-harvest crop and needs assessment,
• Supervised five local & 1 international consultants & ensured timely response by liaising with the government line bureaus, NGOs & UN agencies,
• Raised supplies and cashes in UNICEF computer program (ProMs) to respond to critical needs identified during field assessment, follow up on UNICEF grants and its utilization and settled disbursements in Somali Region.
UNWFP October 1998 - May 1999Monitored IDPs relief operations in the Ethio-Eritrea border in Tigray region,
• Programme Operations: ensured proper distribution and targeting of WFP commodities, properly managed WFP warehouse , undertook local purchase of grains in Humera for the IDP project, introduced an innovative manually operated milling machine locally made by Selam Technical College, supervised WFP commodity and track movements in the conflict areas bordering Eritrea,
• Assessment: undertaken & shared rapid situation assessments of the IDPs & join the national DPPC team as team leader for the 1998 Pre-harvest Crop and Food Aid Needs Assessment mission in Tigray,
• Coordination & Representation: liaise with government & community leaders and NGOs in the field & volunteered to teach IDP children who were out of school in the temporary shelter in Baeker, West Tigray.
Certeficate, Right to Food & Nutrition
Central European Summer University
2001 - 2001
(1 year) Budapest főváros
Certeficate the Right to Food and Nutrition
2001 - 2001
(1 year) Budapest főváros
MPH in Public Nutrition
Tulane Department of International Health and Development, School of Public Health
1994 - 1996
(2 years) Louisiana
Nutrition & food security survey protocols
Tulane School of Public Healtha and Tropical Medicine
1995 - 1995
(1 year) Louisiana