I'm a strategic communications consultant who navigates the fluid intersection of PR, media relations, social media and journalism for employers and brands to excel in the Digital Age via high ROI. I'm passionate about writing, politics, environment, cosmology, diversity, emerging tech (AI, VR, AR).
Strategic Communications Consultant
September 2017 - at Present
I advise companies, organizations and individuals on all facets of leveraging strategic communications for a high return on investment (ROI) to excel in the Digital Age. My areas of expertise include: * External and Internal Communications * Crisis Communications and Rapid Response * PR Campaigns and Earned Media (national/global) * Corporate Branding and Reputation Management * Strategic Message Development and Implementation * Media Relations and Spokesperson (on-the-record) * Speechwriting, Ghostwriting, Op-Eds, Digital Content * Social Media Marketing, Content Marketing, Influencer Marketing * Executive Media Training (on-camera and off), Social Media Training * EEOC and Related Issues of Employment Discrimination and Diversity Email: email@example.com
Strategic Communications Advisor, Social Media Strategist, Writer/Editor
January 1995 - August 2017
• Served as media spokesperson on litigation and policy decisions, quoted over 1,000 times. • Managed media strategy for landmark $50 million class action litigation settlement with Morgan Stanley alleging sex bias against female executives on Wall Street. • Supervised crisis communications and rapid response following the destruction of the New York office on 9/11 and the New Orleans office during Hurricane Katrina. • Launched national media campaigns for “Youth at Work” Initiative and “E-Race” Initiative with media coverage by C-Span, The New York Times and other leading news outlets. • Arranged news segment aired on CBS "60 Minutes" by investigative correspondent Mike Wallace spotlighting first-ever lawsuit alleging genetic discrimination in the workplace. • Launched “Freedom to Compete” TV public service announcements (PSA) to millions of viewers during Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. • Supervised staff in writing/editing/issuing 500 annual press releases nationwide.
Press Officer and Deputy Spokesman, White House OMB
July 1993 - December 1994
www.omb.gov ___________________________________________________ • Wrote press releases and talking points for OMB Directors Leon Panetta and Alice Rivlin. • Coordinated dozens of print and broadcast media interviews with leading news outlets. • Conducted rapid response to reporters on President Bill Clinton's legislative priorities, including the Deficit Reduction Act (Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) and the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). • Arranged a series of interviews between OMB Director Panetta and Bob Woodward of The Washington Post for his first book about the Clinton Administration (“The Agenda”). • Coordinated media issuance of President Clinton’s annual Budget of the United States Government. • Liaised with White House Press Office to draft talking points for the live televised daily press briefings. • Fielded calls from reporters and provided statistical information on budget and fiscal issues.
Special Assistant, White House OPP
November 1992 - June 1993
_________________________________________________________ NOTE: This job carried over from the Presidential Transition Office, Department of Personnel, at outset of the Clinton Presidency. * Assisted in selecting political appointees to work in public affairs/communications offices within Cabinet departments and federal agencies government-wide. * Interviewed dozens of job candidates in-person and assessed their qualifications. * Reviewed hundreds of resumes of prospective political appointees. * Wrote personnel staffing reports and maintained electronic data base of applicants.
Research Analyst, Clinton for President Campaign
June 1992 - November 1992
_________________________________________________________ * Assisted chief pollster to presidential candidate Bill Clinton. * Conducted survey research and analyzed polling data. * Coordinated focus groups with likely voters on key issues. * Wrote polling reports and assisted with development of campaign strategy.
Environment Reporter and Copy Editor
June 1991 - September 1991
_________________________________________________________ * Beat reporter covering environmental issues related to wetlands, clean air and clean water. * Wrote articles about rules and regulations promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). * Covered the White House Council on Environmental Quality and committee hearings of the U.S. Congress on proposed environmental legislation. * Edited copy and wrote headlines.
Press Assistant, U.S. Congress
January 1990 - August 1990
_________________________________________________________ * Assisted the Press Secretary, Communications Director and Speechwriter in daily office activities. * Wrote media advisories and "talking points" on legislative issues during the 1990 "Budget Summit" between Congress and the White House. * Fielded media calls and coordinated interviews for Congressman Richard Gephardt of St. Louis, Missouri. * Helped arrange press conferences and news briefings. * Assisted front office staff with administrative activities.
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Journalism (Minor in Political Science)
at University of Maryland
1988 - 1992 (4 years) Maryland
* All external and internal communications, including global media/PR campaigns;
* All types of writing and editing, including ghostwriting, blogging, speechwriting;
* Social media management, marketing and strategy;
* Message development and brand image enhancement;
* Executive media training and organizational press spokesman; and
* U.S. political analyst and commentator (print, digital, broadcast).
NOTE: Winner of distinguished writing award from The Society of Professional Journalists for opinion-editorials (op-eds) on national and international issues.
Knowledge and keywords