Finite Element Analysis Services (FEAS) February 2013 - at PresentWorking on consulting projects using finite element technology for a diverse range of industries, including energy, minerals and mining, transportation, automotive, medical, defence, food, beverage and agricultural. Software used is the commercial code Abaqus, from the Dassault Systèmes SIMULIA brand portfolio. Projects are mostly structural finite element analyses (in Mechanical Engineering applications). Causes of structural failure and suboptimal performances are also investigated. Findings are interpreted in terms of relevant standards and codes of practice. Python scripts are also used during model development and post-processing. Further duties include:
- Developing and presenting training courses on Abaqus.
- Application and technical support.
- Business development and marketing, (User Meetings and Industry Seminars, conducting client requirement surveys).
- Continuous Professional Development (CPD) accreditation and validation activities of Abaqus training courses.
Mecad Systems May 2011 - January 2013Customer implementation of SolidWorks 3D modelling and design validation software (employer is the value added reseller of SolidWorks in South Africa). Main responsibilities were aspects surrounding the design validation software products, namely Solidworks Simulation (finite element analysis) and SolidWorks Flow Simulation (computational fluid dynamics). Further involved with other products from the SolidWorks suite, predominantly 3D CAD offerings. Further duties included:
- Application and technical support via telephone, email, web portal and site visits.
- Following up on technical support cases via service requests and software performance reports.
- Sales assistance through assessment of customer requirements and researching technical solutions.
- Demonstration of software capabilities to prospective customers.
- Presenting training courses on SolidWorks products.
- Providing consulting services, primarily in structural, thermal and fluid flow applications (FEA and CFD).
TRAC South Africa April 2010 - April 2011Involvement in presenting curriculum-based Physical Science classes to secondary school learners from disadvantaged backgrounds. These teaching activities took place at the TRAC South Africa headquarters at Stellenbosch University. The theoretical aspects of the classes were accompanied by practical sessions where learners got the opportunity to perform hands-on experiments. Further activities included the entire facilitation of the classes and practical sessions together with basic administrative duties and vocational guidance sessions.
CTS Trailers May 2009 - March 2010Involved in the design and development of rigid truck bodies for the transportation industry. Activities included the execution of individual projects from concept to detailed design. Detailed design entailed structural analysis as well as the preparation of detailed production drawings in SolidWorks and AutoCAD. Product costing, client liaison, production overviews and general drawing office duties were also performed. Further involvement in the development of an in house product costing system and led an initial implementation process.
MSc(Eng) - Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
2007 - 2012
(5 years) Province of the Western Cape
Bachelor of Engineering (BEng), Mechanical Engineering
2002 - 2006
(4 years) Province of the Western Cape
Senior Certificate (Matric)
Grey College Secondary
1997 - 2001
(4 years) Free State