I am a passionate social activist who loves working with people and assisting them to develop. I have extensive working experience having worked in financial services, employee benefits consulting, education, training & development, research and most recently in literacy development.
Story Power in Motion Literacy Mentor
April 2019 - at Present
Drive Nal’ibali Story Power in Motion vehicle in the listed communities and other identified spaces, Promote brand awareness at provincial level. Identify training needs, Pro-actively look for new training opportunities. Facilitate training, Plan and recommend training for the identified needs to the content & learning team. Support and mentor trained volunteers. Ensure all post-training reports, budgets are submitted within agreed time. Use feedback to improve future sessions. Submit all reports, M&E information, reconciliation and budgets on deadline. Arrange and attend stakeholder meetings, mobilize community involvement, ensure Ongoing partner / stakeholder liaison. Consider and discuss all opportunities to engage with local communities. Be a Nal'ibali ambassador in local community. Identify opportunities to distribute Nal’ibali material, supplements.. Ensure quality assurance to all reports being submitted to project coordinator, do timeous submission of reports and work plans.
at IMonti 4-H Positive Youth Development Club
January 2018 - March 2019
This is a position I undertook due to the outcomes of my IFAD/ISASAR/FHISER research work (included in work history). It currently consists of 20 schools around East London and we have seven categories of programs that young people choose from to complete their annual projects. We design training material for our programs and collaborate with other non-profit organizations to deliver on these programs. We focus on empowering young people to reach their full potential through positive youth development and experiential learning. In my position I have been responsible for the formulating and implementing our strategic planning; marketing and advocacy; creating and managing relationship with our stakeholders; developing and designing the material for our programs; and coaching & mentoring our volunteers.
Research Contract Position
at Fort Hare Institute of Social and Economic Research
November 2018 - December 2018
Completed research on the impact of the National Heritage Council (NHC) in the sector and the role they have played in promoting intangible cultural heritage in the sector with focus on education, community development and the civil sector. Fieldwork was done through qualitative interviews with government departments, non-profit organizations that have been awarded funding by the NHC as well as communities. Produced 3 reports on education, community engagement and language which formed part of the report submitted to the NHC.
Training and Development Facilitator
at NS Global Academy
July 2011 - February 2018
• Facilitate training sessions and skills programmes • Facilitated the following skills programmes with a 100% success rate and a total of 347 learners. The literacy level of the learners ranged from illiterate to individuals that had post-graduate qualifications. Training groups also comprised of people from rural and urban areas, individuals who were unemployed and some that were heads of departments. Some of the training groups contained a mixture of these individuals which meant that as a facilitator I had to bridge the gap and ensure that the pace was not too fast for individuals with low education levels or too slow for those with higher degree qualifications. o Environmental Practice NQF 1 & 2 o Local Economic Development NQF 4 o Municipal Integrated Development Plan NQF 5 o Customer Service / Batho Pele Principles o Public Participation
at Innovations in Smallholder Agriculture in South Africa for Climate Change Resilience (ISASAR)
July 2017 - November 2017
• Completed research fieldwork and produced a paper titled Youth Aspirations and their decreasing participation in Agriculture – A Case Study of the Amathole District Municipality. • Was requested to write this paper due to the quality of work that I had produced in the climate change paper outlined below. • A mixed method research approach was used whereby qualitative and quantitative data was collected from more than 200 scholars. • I analyzed and interpreted the results and made recommendations to the project team that would impact policy making.
at Fort Hare Institute of Economic and Social Research (FHISER)
October 2015 - June 2017
• Did field work on the impacts of rural urban migration in the Gcaleka region of the Eastern Cape to establish whether there were any family or remittance linkages between them and the inhabitants of Mandela Park in Hout Bay who are originally from the Gcaleka area. This was done through in-depth interviews with community members that had children or siblings that had migrated to Hout Bay. • Produced a paper for the ISASAR projected funded by IFAD in partnership with Nelson Mandela University, University of Fort Hare and the University of the Western Cape on the impacts of climate change on smallholder and household farmers in the Amathole District Municipality. • Represented the University of Fort Hare at a cultural observatory workshop held in Rosebank, Johannesburg. • Presented a paper on the impact of “ukuthwasa” on the psychosocial identity formation of urban youth at the Anthropology Southern Africa 2015 conference held at the North West University in Potchefstroom.
Acting Assistant Director – SG’s Office
at Eastern Cape Department of Education
March 2008 - December 2008
• Perform secretariat functions for the SG in executive meetings • Was the main relationship manager and liaison with the Corporate Sector. • I was responsible for the coordination of correspondence in the SG’s Office as dealing all incoming telephone calls and queries.
Personal Financial Advisor
at Bowden FS a Liberty Life Franchise
May 2007 - October 2007
Province of the Western Cape
• I offered tailor made professional personal financial advice to individuals in terms of the following Acts; the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act (FAIS), Pension Funds Act, Long Term Insurance Act, Income Tax Act, Prevention of Organised Crime Act (POCA), Financial Intelligence Centre Act (FICA) and the National Credit Act (NCA). • I performed a comprehensive financial needs analysis for individuals to determine surpluses and shortfalls between their financial objectives and current financial status. • Advise individuals with respect to the life events such as death, disability, retirement, health care, inflation and tax.
Employee Benefits Consultant
at Alexander Forbes Financial Services
October 2004 - March 2007
• As an Alexander Forbes Employee Benefits Consultant I represented Alexander Forbes in all the Client Meeting. I was reporting to a Senior Consultant who was also a qualified Actuary. Our clients were as follows; Estee Lauder SA, IBM SA, Bayer Group, Johnnic Entertainment and Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council. We offered professional advice to our clients, the Trustees of the Retirement Funds, to enable them to run their Funds within the law and the Rules of the Fund. • Internally at Alexander Forbes I ensured that functions like the actuarial, accounting, legal, communications, administration etc were aware of the dates of the meetings to ensure that their reports would be ready on time at the meetings. This involved the coordination and negotiation with various functions and at different levels within the organization. This meant that I had to have relationship building, networking and negotiation skills both in the organization as well as with my clients.
at Financial Services Board
May 1999 - September 2004
• As Team Leader I recruited, trained, developed and managed 5 actuarial assistants that were responsible for the approval of applications for section 14 transfers, statutory valuation reports, financial reviews and exemptions from submitting these applications. • I formulated the workflow management for the implementation of the above processes and established and maintained the valuations database that must be updated with critical information regarding the assumptions being used in the industry for reporting to the Executive Committee. • I was fully responsible for the unit, from the budgeting for the team and monitoring of the budget as well as formulating the strategic direction of the team and ensuring that it is in line with that of the organization.
Master of Social Science
at University of Fort Hare
2013 - 2015 (2 years) Eastern Cape
Bachelor of Science
at Rhodes University
1995 - 1998 (3 years) Eastern Cape