- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Education Level: 4 year university degree, Engineering or Science; Post-graduate degree in advanced mathematical modeling and/or artificial intelligence and machine learning as applied to power systems and/or water resources operations an asset; ITIL certification an asset.
Location(s): Downtown Toronto
Deadline to Apply: November 15, 2019
BE THE GENERATION to challenge and change.
At Ontario Power Generation (OPG), our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about us that don't change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship. We operate a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar, and offer challenging and unique work opportunities. BE THE GENERATION to power tomorrow.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a dedicated and results driven professional to join our team in the role of an Applications Analyst in our Downtown Toronto location.
Reporting to the Section Head, Information Systems (Advanced Applications) of IT Services, Applications Analyst is responsible to evaluate, recommend, build, and maintain information systems, computer tools and models for simulation and optimization of water resources utilization and management, computerized generation dispatch, river flow forecasting, planning and scheduling systems to assist Energy Market Operations, Water Resources, and Hydro Plant Operations in carrying out their water management and generation portfolio management accountabilities.
Provide leadership and technical support for the design, development, assurance testing, deployment, training, daily operation, and life cycle management of the computer tools for economic operation of the generation assets of OPG.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to Ontario Power Generation's continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
- Evaluate and recommend computerized generation dispatch, water resources management, river flow forecasting, planning and scheduling systems to assist Market Operations, Water Resources, and Hydro Plant Operations in carrying out their water management and generation scheduling accountabilities in such areas as:
- forecasting of future hydrologic conditions
- water resources planning, scheduling and dispatch systems
- water utilization optimization models
- Investigate and identify opportunities to improve hydroelectric energy conversion performance.
- Provide expert advice, develop computational algorithms, conduct special studies, produce reports and design, and assemble resource information to support recommendations on water resources management, advisory and automated control techniques, practices and policies.
- Must be able to carry out design, modeling, development, implementation and maintenance activities for simple to medium-complex tools and systems including computer tools for water resources management, advisory and automated control.
- Maintain and support site/plant/corporate tools and systems. Plan, install, maintain, manage, and administer the delivery of application services.
- Provide guidance, training and education for simple to complex tools and systems one-on-one or in a classroom training session.
- Demonstrate and report to business leaders that application services are aligned to business needs through service performance reports and dashboards and established Operating Level Agreements.
- Participates and support service delivery improvement initiatives. Identify, investigate, and propose opportunities for cost reductions.
- Participate and support the assembly and development of business requirements for project feasibility and release proposals, business cases, and post implementation reviews of projects.
- Prepare correspondence on financial issues, commitment of resources, work schedules, and proposals for simple to medium-complex projects.
- Provide technical notes and guidelines on selection, acquisition, migration, usage and application of all but the most complex information technology products and related services.
- Participate in the negotiation, acquisition, and administration of vendor contracts and license maintenance agreements.
- 4 year university degree, Engineering or Science
- Post-graduate degree in advanced mathematical modeling and/or artificial intelligence and machine learning as applied to power systems and/or water resources operations an asset
- ITIL certification an asset.
We are looking for a seasoned Applications Analyst professional with the following:
- 6+ years of related experience in hydro power generation and operations, water resources control and management, river flow forecasting and/or power system operations and control.
- Experience in business processes, information management systems and database systems.
- Working knowledge of advanced mathematical models applied to power system operations and water resources operations is desired.
- Experience in the development and design of computerized simulation and optimization applications.
- Knowledge and experience in modeling with AI and machine learning techniques is an asset.
- Advanced skills in Excel VBA, VB.net and C#.net programming languages, web technologies in the .net framework, MS SQL Server database system, and Microsoft technologies including PowerBI, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, DevOpt, and Azure.
- People and team oriented with a strong ability to establish an excellent level of confidence, credibility and cooperation with program's internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and written, is essential.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- Applicants with lesser qualifications may be considered at lower levels.
We offer an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value and where you can realize your long-term personal and professional goals. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario s success.
At OPG our values are our strengths. These are fundamental truths about our organization that don't change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here s why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
As Ontario's largest clean energy generator, Ontario Power Generation offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario s success.
At OPG our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don't change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here s why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide.
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities.
- Electricity is vital to the province.
If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Our promise to you
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop in our diverse lines of business.
- Provide spaces for innovative thinking and solutions, such as Launchpad or X-Lab.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- We support employment equity and diversity.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/by 11:59 PM E.S.T., November 15, 2019 OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us ASAP so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require technical support in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com