- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
We are seeking a leader for our Programs and Portfolio Management commercial lines underwriting department. The Sector Lead will be accountable for technical and professional expertise in guiding underwriting performance, development and delivering class and segment underwriting strategy, as well as training/guidance to achieve excellence relating to a large national portfolio. The role is considered Aviva’s technical expert in underwriting segments with coverage's including Property, Casualty, Commercial Auto and specialty lines including Professional Liability. Working with Risk Management, you will analyze related legal trends and developments in order to plan ahead to take account of predicted developments. You will be responsible for a range of related business issues and projects requiring in-depth investigation and judgment to resolve.
You will lead and provide technical support to a team of program underwriters, and underwriting assistants to manage a large national portfolio to consistent profitability. Promote marketing and growth including new business within delegated programs and/or portfolios and new program opportunities while monitoring market trends. Maintain strong Broker/client relationships and involve the team including the creation of proposals and presenting the same.
- Manage underwriting and processing functions to ensure the underwriting quality and service standards are aligned within Aviva’s Corporate objectives and guidelines and are within authority
- Recruitment, development, support and training of staff
- Support team performance with monthly one-on-one meetings, monthly group meetings and regular daily interactions.
- Set objectives and meet our branch targets,
- Maintain strong Broker relationships through marketing visitations, stewardship meetings and program meetings. Promptly resolve conflicts and issues.
- Oversight of underwriting decisions, program results and audit plans/discoveries including rectification for head office.
- Provide leadership direction including underwriting referrals that require corporate approval as well as recommending authorization on manuscript wordings.
- Review, create and update efficiency procedures to optimize cost and expenses.
- Monitor results and reports on a monthly basis watching for variances and performance. Delivery of results.
- Establish and execute plans for completion of business objectives/plans including pricing, loss ratio, rate changes and new business targets.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- A minimum of 10 years commercial lines experience, with 5 years in technical roles underwriting large/complex risksand/or accounts, with a proven track record of managing a profitable P&L in P&C.
- Proven leadership record managing a team of experience trading underwriters and underwriting specialists
- Demonstrated credibility within the industry and the ability to build high performing underwriting team(s)
- Experience with strategy development and execution for a P&L, including planning for current and future state (3 years out)
- Experience dealing with local distributors and/or clients and/or reinsurers in the P&C segment
- Industry underwriting expert with expertise in at least three relevant product lines in a regulatory environment. Adhering to protocols, guidelines and procedures
- Ability to understand and interpret Legislation/regulation with the assistance of the legal department Demonstrate interactive communication skill by building constructive and effective relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to manage and direct others.
- High awareness of internal department and Aviva-wide policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Computer literacy with standard office software and gain knowledge of Aviva systems.
- Capability to create and present internal/external formal presentations.
- Proficient with analyzing Manuscript wordings.
- University degree or college diploma
- CIP, FCIP, CRM preferable
- Level of experience to commensurate production with National brokers and large Regional’s.
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.
About the company
We help our 33 million customers to save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life. To give these customers the best possible products and service we know we must make Aviva the most attractive choice for talented, entrepreneurial people with diverse backgrounds and an evolving range of expertise and insight.
So, we’re passionate about helping our 29,600 people to do the best work of their lives, to enable them to make a positive difference to the lives of our customers.