- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
At LifeLabs, we are focused on our vision of building a healthier Canada! We are the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada with over 350 collection centres, 16 laboratories and service over 20 million patients each year.
Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team - We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 5,700 employees, we all make a difference and that's why our people are so important to us.
This is an exciting time to join our LifeLabs team, grow your career with us and support numerous business initiatives, innovations, best practice and business development opportunities.
Do you want to help improve patients' healthcare outcomes? Now you can. LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services is a proud Canadian company with over 50 years experience. We provide laboratory testing services that help healthcare providers diagnose, treat, monitor and prevent disease in patients.
LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services is seeking a Medical Lab Technician (Hematology) to join our team in Toronto, Ontario.
This is an important role in patient care and our business, and will let you see the difference that you make in patients' lives. This is a Part Time role suitable for an individual with a flexible weekday schedule, and includes the opportunity to pick up additional shifts at other LifeLabs locations.
- Responsible for carrying out a diverse range of work activities; ensure all duties and responsibilities are prioritized and handled with accuracy and efficiency providing quality results
- Demonstrate knowledge of specimen handling requirements and prioritization of specimens and results, following LifeLabs Procedures
- Perform manual and automated testing in accordance with LifeLabs Procedures under the direct supervision of a medical laboratory technologist
- Complete “results pending” summaries, referring information to Senior/Team Lead
- Perform procedures required to address Quality Assurance indicators as defined, consulting with resources where necessary
- Identify incidents and non-conformances; escalate as appropriate
- Conduct and record instrument/equipment maintenance at appropriate, defined intervals
- Prepare and utilize reagents and controls using defined procedures
- Ensure confidentiality of patient information
- Monitor and maintain adequate amounts and proper usage of laboratory supplies
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work environment
- Ensure bio hazardous and routine garbage is handled in compliance with Environment, Health and Safety procedures
- Work in a manner that protects one's own health & safety as well as the safety of co-workers and others, and that is consistent with the law and with safe work practices and procedures established by LifeLabs
Are you a good fit?
We are looking for passionate individuals who share in the importance of our values: Customer Focus, Accountability, Respect and Excellence, and can live these values with us every day. LifeLabs is seeking individuals who can work collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment, while adhering to LifeLabs' standards of safety, accuracy and efficiency. Do you have:
- High School diploma
- WHMIS training
- Registered Laboratory Assistant (OSMT) optional
- Previous laboratory experience preferred
- Laboratory environment: may handle bio hazardous materials and chemicals/reagents
Five Technical Elements:
1) They must have the ability to problem solve and resolve issues surrounding specimen inquiries (queries, pendings etc.)
2) Experience with daily and weekly maintenance of any type of instrument is required
3) Must demonstrate a good understanding of Quality Assurance and be able to apply this knowledge at the right time to ensure good quality results.
4) Understand pre-analytical procedures including specimen receipt, proper handling, and proper preparation in relation to Quality Assurance.
5) Intermediate proficiency in working with Microsoft Office applications such as Excels and Word.
At LifeLabs, great employees are at the heart of everything we do. That's why LifeLabs provides more than just competitive compensation and benefits - our employees receive coaching and training in an environment that fosters open communication, education opportunities with tuition reimbursement, and opportunities for advancement and changes in career direction. We especially encourage applications from new graduates and individuals looking to advance their careers.
LifeLabs is committed to building an inclusive environment and will provide accommodations in accordance with the AODA - Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please indicate in your application any accommodations you will require throughout the recruitment process. Alternatively please contact our corporate offices main line to be directed to a member of the Talent Acquisition team at (416) 675-4530.