- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Requisition ID: 36858
Position Number: 20009825
Posting End Date: December 10, 2019
Site: Health Sciences Centre
Department/Unit: Medical Transcription
Job Stream: Non-Clinical
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Anticipated Shift: Days; Evenings; Weekends
Daily Hours Worked: 7.5
Annual Base Hours: 1950
Salary: $ 18.582, $ 19.139, $ 19.713, $ 20.305, $ 20.914, $ 21.541
Shared Health leads the planning and coordinates the integration of patient-centred clinical and preventive health services across Manitoba. The organization also delivers some province-wide health services and supports centralized administrative and business functions for Manitoba health organizations.
Working as a member of the Medical Transcription team under the leadership of the Manager, Records Management, the incumbent is responsible for creating accurate and timely patient care reports by transcribing medical dictation from clinical providers.
- Transcribing medical dictation in a production environment without reference to hard copy source documents required (ie health record). Aptitude for understanding dictation by individuals for whom English is a second language required; eg dictation with strong accents, rapid speech, unusual phraseology.
- Working with confidential personal health information and the ability to understand and apply key principles of privacy legislation as stated in regional policies required. Working knowledge of dictation/transcription systems, printers and fax technology required.
- Working in an automated transcription environment with a pool of transcription staff required.
- Complete high school education, Manitoba standards required.
- Successful completion of a recognized Medical Transcriptionist training program required.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Not Applicable
Qualifications and Skills
- The following special training is required and competency levels will be demonstrated through skill tests:
- Typing/keyboarding skills of 70-80 words per minute.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology including anatomy, physiology, disease processes, pharmacology, laboratory values, signs and symptoms.
- Excellent command of the English language (oral and written) including superior spelling, grammar and punctuation skills.
- Preference will be given to those applicants competent in an Indigenous language and/or knowledge in Indigenous customs, traditions and values.
- Proficiency with e-mail systems for departmental communications.
- Good interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Periods of prolonged use of computer monitor, keyboard and ear phones.
- Long periods of sitting.
We have a unique ability to work together to make health care better. If you want to make a difference and contribute to supporting the health of your family, friends and neighbours, please apply today.
Interested candidates should select the "Apply" icon below to upload their cover letter, resume and copy of licenses/certification.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions in Shared Health that combine to equal more than 1.0 FTE.
Shared Health values and supports employment equity and workplace diversity and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.