- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Requisition ID: 15205
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC s Top Employers, Canada s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The City of Vancouver, Engineering Services is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals available for auxiliary, on-call work as an Operations Worker II in the Transfer and Landfill Operations Branch.
Applicants must be willing and able to work shifts which may include dayshift, afternoon, and graveyard with the expectations to work weekends. Successful applicants availability must meet Branch expectations in order to continue employment with the Branch.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The City of Vancouver owns and operates the Vancouver Landfill in Delta and the Vancouver South Transfer Station in Vancouver. The Transfer and Landfill Operations Branch has approximately 130 staff working in technical, administration and operations positions, and has an annual operating budget of approximately $26,000,000.
Operations Worker IIs are scheduled at the Vancouver Landfill or Vancouver South Transfer Station where they will perform labor duties on a daily basis in a noisy environment in all types of weather conditions.
Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required. Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some laboring experience.
- Education, training or experience related to Solid Waste or Recycling would be an asset
- OFA Level II and WHMIS is preferred
- Forklift Certification and TDG Certification is preferred
- Experience operating heavy equipment such as bull dozers, Front End loaders and compactors is an asset
- Experience working in a Transfer Station or Landfill is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment
Driver's License and Record Checks
- A current and valid Class 1 or 3 BC Driver's License with Air Brakes is preferred and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
As part of our recruitment process to determine the successful candidate, you will be screened and ranked based on the following:
- Job Application
- ICBC Documents
- Employee and Branch Records
- Attendance Report
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: February 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: $28.67 per hour
Number of Positions: 10
Application Close: January 5, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion .