- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Requisition ID: 36864
Position Number: 20035162
Posting End Date: Dec 10, 2019
Site: St. Boniface Hospital
Department/Unit: Psychiat Nurses/Emerg
Job Stream: Clinical
Anticipated Start Date: 01/10/2020
Anticipated Shift: Days; Nights
Daily Hours Worked: 11.625
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Salary: $37.025, $38.274, $39.577, $40.849, $42.030, $43.317, $44.646
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We're united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Position Overview Under the general supervision of the PROGRAM TEAM MANAGER, and while demonstrating a commitment to the Mission, Values and Management Philosophy of St. Boniface Hospital, working within the Emergency team, the Psychiatric Liaison Nurse provides mental health expertise in patient assessment, risk assessment including suicide risk assessment, care planning and disposition, intervention and evaluation within the Emergency Department, and the Facility. Provides support and mental healthcare to Emergency Department (ED) patients, families and personal supports those experiencing emotional stress. Provides mental health nursing consultation services/support to inpatient units (eg medicine, surgery etc.).
- Minimum of 3 years recent acute mental health experience required.
- Previous experience in an Emergency Department/Urgent Care Centre preferred.
- Graduate of an approved School of Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing required.
- BScMH, BScPN or BN preferred.
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (CRNM) or College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (CRPNM) required.
- Active participation in professional associations eg Association of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (ARNM) preferred.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated excellence in:
- mental health clinical skills.
- verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated Competence in:
- psychiatric assessment within a biopsychosocial framework,
- crisis intervention,
- therapeutic communication,
- co-occurring disorders,
- teaching skills and abilities working with clients and families
- supporting and educating colleagues in providing mental healthcare.
- Awareness of community resources available to clients with psychosocial, psychiatric and chemical dependency needs.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- collaborate and provide leadership with a team in providing mental healthcare.
- practice independently and as a member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- engage clients using Recovery-oriented practice.
- participate and conduct CSIM.
- Demonstrated effective organizational, interpersonal, critical thinking, creative problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated basic computer skills and ability to utilize relevant Emergency Department computer systems.
- Knowledge of:
- College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba Standards of Practice for Registered Nurses/College of Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba Standards of Psychiatric Nursing Practice.
- Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics for Registered Nurses and Registered Psychiatric Nurses.
- Scope of practice as documented in the Registered Psychiatric Nurses Act for RPNs in Mental Health.
- Scope of practice as documented in the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) for Registered Nurses.
- Regional/Facility/Unit policies, procedures, protocols, and guidelines.
- Nursing care knowledge related to clinical area.
- Personal Health Information Act (PHIA), Protection of Persons in Care Act, Mental Health Act, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Principles of Routine Practices (Universal Precautions) and other legislated acts.
- Roles and responsibilities of members of the healthcare team.
- Principles of delegation.
- Required physical and psychological health to perform the duties of the position.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.