- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- HALIFAX CA
Apply By: 12/18/2019
Transportation & Infrastructure Renewal
Secretary 3, Permanent, HALIFAX
Competition # 22038
About Us Building and maintaining our provincial infrastructure is no small job.
At the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (TIR), we manage 23,000 kilometers of roads and highways and 4,100 bridges across Nova Scotia. We are responsible for managing various programs, functions, construction projects and activities throughout our province, including snow and ice control services, along with road maintenance and repair services.
About Our Opportunity Reporting to the Executive Director of Highway Engineering and Construction, the Secretary provides a broad range of senior level administrative assistance and support to Executive Director, Director of Highway Engineering Services, and the Division.
This role is responsible for the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the office. Duties involve record and file management, coordinating and scheduling matters, demonstrating leadership, independent judgement and decision-making skills necessary to support the Office. Using sound time management skills, the Secretary assists in facilitating appointments, prepares and distributes correspondence, setting meetings and workload planning. The incumbent maintains up-to-date knowledge of government practices and policies to deal with and decrease the amount of time the Executive Director and staff spend on routine matters such as office enquiries, correspondence and requests at the administrative level. Additional administrative responsibilities may be assigned as required by the department.
About You Successful completion of a recognized secretarial course or University Secretarial Science Degree, and several years of experience in senior administrative positions of responsibility. An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent judgement and ability to prioritize multiple priorities under tight deadlines is required.
- The successful applicant will possess strong teamwork and collaboration skills as part of an integrated administration team.
- Excellent communication skills are necessary to liaise with external/internal stakeholders and the public.
- Must have a high degree of professionalism, tact, diplomacy and a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity to the needs and requirements of senior government officials, various government departments including senior management, staff and the general public.
- Must understand the political and bureaucratic significance of issues and documents dealt with by the department and exercise sound judgement in alerting the Executive Director to critical information.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite and Outlook (or similar email system) is required.
- Having extensive knowledge of government structure, policy and processes and legislative processes, procedures and practices would be considered an asset.
Other Considerations During the recruitment process, eligible candidates will be assessed on their technical competencies, including written communication skills, and the use of office technology software and business applications.
Leadership competencies required at this level of work are: Analytical Thinking, Adaptability and Flexibility, Attention to Detail, Client Orientation, Initiative, Effective Interactive Communication and Intercultural and Diversity Proficiency.
Pay Grade: EC 03
Salary Range: $1,396.06 - $1,753.60 Bi-Weekly
All current employees who wish to be considered an internal candidate, please click here .
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer .
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For questions or concerns, please contact (see below) .
Click here to see how we won!
- trades and professions