- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Requisition ID: 59043
Career Group: Corporate Office Careers
Job Category: Administration
Travel Requirements: 0 - 10%
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia (CA-NS)
Location: King St. Office
Postal Code: B0K 1S0
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 123,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Overview Sobeys is full of exciting opportunities and we are always looking for bright new talent to join our team! We currently have a Full time opportunity for a Senior Accountant, Accounting & Control to join our Finance team based out of our office in Stellarton, NS.
Job Description What you ll get to do in this fast paced role:
- Accurately account for transactions in the general ledger accounts
- Prepare working papers that support account balances, and investigation of any issues
- Review and approval of working papers prepared by other team members
- Review and approval of Journal Entries
- Oversee and complete the period-end close processes, controls, and procedures
- Troubleshoot any issues that may arise, specifically at period end
- Liaise with other groups within finance to ensure proper accounting for complex transactions
- Work closely with team members to ensure period end timelines are met
- Work with various project teams to assess accounting impacts of major projects
- Analyze account and cost centre balances for reasonableness, consistency, and compliance with IFRS
- Facilitate the internal and external audit of accounts
- Ensure compliance with Sobeys Inc. accounting standards, policies, and IFRS
- Actively work to improve processes and work with other areas of the business to address common issues affecting the accuracy of financial statements
- Ensure compliance with CEO/CFO Certification requirements
- Ongoing training, coaching, and mentoring of accountants and clerks
- Work closely with the Manager Finance, Accounting & Control to ensure standardized and efficient processing of accounts
- Work with business partners in analyzing various components of the financial statements
- Special Projects as required
Job Requirements What your resume will include and demonstrate to us:
- 3-5 years Accounting/Finance experience
- Relevant Post Secondary education (Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, etc.)
- Proficient understanding of IFRS
- Aptitude for understanding technology
- Strong knowledge of accounting, analytics and controls
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills
- Delegation and team leadership skills
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to multitask, while remaining detail oriented
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to guide, coach, develop and mentor staff
- Support organizational change through initiatives that improve function-specific processes or performance
- Ability to anticipate issues and recommend appropriate actions
- Independent and self-motivated
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Completion of or working towards a professional accounting designation (CPA - CA, CGA, CMA)
- SAP/Longview experience preferred
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a leading Canadian company with a clear vision and focus. If you feel that this describes the kind of work you want to do, and you are excited about what Sobeys has to offer, then we look forward to reviewing your application. Please ensure that you take the time to ensure your profile shows us why you're the most qualified applicant for the role.
Sobeys offers our employees many valuable benefits such as:
- Growing organization
- Competitive salary
- Pension plan
- Profit Sharing Plan
- Flexible health and dental benefits plan (eligible employees)
- Ongoing Training & Development
- Opportunity for internal mobility to other departments and/or promotions (for employees who are strong performers)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.
- microsoft excel
- ms project