- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Ubisoft Québec is a leader in the video game industry and is located in the heart of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood. Involved in many of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises, the studio gained a strong expertise, leading to its implication in the development of AAA games. The 500 talented people are united by the desire of pushing boundaries, building high quality worlds and creating memorable gaming experiences.
The special effects artist will create and integrate high-quality special effects, in keeping with the creative direction, technological constraints and production deadlines.
· Understand the game design documents and artistic direction to comprehend the creative direction and have an overall idea of the sign off features;
· Find reference images and videos of the intended effects and validate these references with the artistic director;
· See with the graphic design TD if the intended special effects can be created in the engine and suggest alternatives or development options (ex: tools) whenever necessary;
· Collaborate with the DT to adapt the pipeline to ensure that it fosters the production of the special effects and determine memory and performance budgets;
· Work in collaboration with programmers to develop adapted tools to meet special effects requirements;
· Use available tools (particle systems, modelling, texturing, etc.) to create the special effects requested by the artistic team and integrate these effects into the engine;
· Validate the quality of the effects once they are imported into the game and make any necessary changes in an effort to maximize the user experience;
· Optimize the special effects on an ongoing basis and account for modifications and technological constraints throughout the project to ensure that the special effects remain of high quality;
· Foster game accessibility by adapting the various special effects based on comments from the game design team before, during and after the creation of the special effects;
· Fix the bugs entered by testers and other working units;
· Communicate with other working units to help members integrate special effects by providing reference documents and other types of support;
· Carry out all other related tasks.
College or University diploma in a video game-related field, in special effects/film or any other relevant training.
Minimum 3 years’ experience in modelling, texturing, lighting and image processing or other relevant experience.
Skills and Knowledge
· Attention to detail;
· Sense of initiative and proactivity;
· Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change;
· Ability to work under pressure;
· Originality and resourcefulness in problem-solving;
· Knowledge and interest in programming languages an asset (e.g. Max Script);
· Knowledge of game editors (e.g. Unreal, Source, etc.);
· Knowledge of compositionning software (e.g. After Effects, Houdini, Toxic, etc.).
About the company
Ubisoft is a leading creator, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and services, with a rich portfolio of world-renowned brands. The teams throughout Ubisoft's worldwide network of studios and business offices are committed to delivering original and memorable gaming experiences across all popular platforms.