- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- SPARWOOD CA
Closing Date: January 4, 2020
Reporting to the Manager, Water Modelling, the Water Scientist is responsible for working as an integral member of the modelling and Castle Project teams to provide water quality analysis to inform mine planning and water management planning decisions as the Castle Project progresses through project stage gates and regulatory approval processes. The Castle project is proceeding as “Teck's Future Mine” and water quality modelling may include evaluation of innovative treatment technologies (such as Saturated Rock Fills) and source control (such as suboxic waste rock spoils), to describe the approach of water quality management for environmental assessments, permit applications, and operations.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide water quality subject matter expertise to mine development projects, including review and input for baseline data collection programs and environmental assessments
- Lead consulting teams to develop and refine numerical models through targeted studies, periodic review of new information, and development of a streamlined way to evaluate options
- Use water quality models to evaluate mine and water management options
- Collaborate with mine engineering to provide input to mine and water management designs
- Provide support to, and coordination among, Teck's coal operations for their water quality planning, including supervising water quality modelling, to support mine planning and infrastructure decision making
- Provide review and support modelling efforts related to permit applications and regulatory submissions
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team to develop water management plans
- Identify environmental management issues and undertake analysis to support decision making
- Engage with regulators, First Nations, and other communities of interest on water quality modelling for mine development projects
- Engineering or Science degree in environment, geochemistry, or related field, with a post-graduate qualification preferred
- Six years of progressively senior experience in the resource industry
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Technical expertise of, and extensive experience with, developing and applying complex water quality simulation models and other planning tools
- Experience with the GoldSim® simulation modelling platform is required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Strong project management skills and experience in managing water quality assessment and planning projects and teams
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
- trades and professions