- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Requisition ID: 36782
Position Number: 20035681
Posting End Date: December 10, 2019
Site: Seven Oaks General Hospital
Work Location: Wellness Institute
Department/Unit: WI Fitness Programs Services
Job Stream: Non-Clinical
Anticipated Start Date - End Date: 01/13/2020 - 01/15/2021
Reason for Term: Maternity Leave
Anticipated Shift: Days; Evenings; Weekends
Daily Hours Worked: 3-7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We're united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Position Overview Reporting to the Director of Fitness Programs, the Wellness Consultant works with and supports members to make positive lifestyle changes. They use motivational interviewing techniques to assess the members' needs, identify barriers and develop a lifestyle plan appropriate to their condition and goals. The Wellness Consultant monitors and supervises member usage of track and exercise equipment and applies principles of exercise physiology to identify and suggest appropriate and safe exercises. The Wellness Consultant develops and maintains a fun and engaging environment by facilitating activities that challenge members and promote socialization. The Wellness Consultant conducts daily safety and maintenance checks of assessment, exercise and sport equipment and assists with facility and equipment maintenance and cleaning as required.
Represents the vision and philosophy of the Wellness Institute by demonstrating a strong customer service philosophy, a positive attitude, a positive image of good health and fitness, inclusive language, and sensitivity to the needs of a diverse clientele.
- Two to five years experience in health and lifestyle assessments, motivational interviewing techniques and training individuals with varying needs and fitness levels.
- Bachelor's degree in Kinesiology, Human Performance, Exercise Science or equivalent.
- Masters degree in related field.
- Training in exercise stress testing and exercise prescription for clients with chronic disease.
- Training in health behaviour and life style change, particularly from a self-management approach.
- Required certification: Certified Fitness Consultant and Personal Trainer (CPT). Health Provider CPR per Wellness Institute and professional association policies.
- Preferred certification/qualifications: Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) or equivalent such as ASCM Exercise Specialist Certification.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective communication and work collaboratively with all team members.
- Strong customer service skills with experience working in the service industry.
- Excellent time management strengths; able to schedule and coordinate client sessions to ensure orderly, timely and accurate completion of program requirements and ensure completion of client records.
- Skilled in working in a fast paced work environment with a variety of activities, client requirements, and numerous interruptions; able to prioritize workload to meet departmental and client requirements while maintaining composure under stress.
- Easy, approachable personal manner with solid communication and interpersonal skills for effective client contact whether in person, by phone or other electronic technology.
- Able to approach and work with people living with chronic conditions/disease.
- Action oriented, able to take the initiative, able and willing to participate and contribute in a team based work environment.
- Basic computer literacy and comfort with use of electronic media.
- Fast paced, deadline and goal oriented multi professional team with excellence in communication and customer service.
- Must be able to withstand considerable amounts of standing, walking, bending and other activity associated with exercise instruction and fitness assessments.
- Shift work required.
Salary is commensurate with education and qualifications.
This term position may end earlier as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.