- 23/02/2017Lyon Park House: renovation of a brick colonial revivalist house in Arlington, Virginia by Robert M Gurney to read more go to :- http://www.caandesign.com/lyon-park-house-renovation-brick-colonial-revivalist-house-arlington-virginia/
- 22/02/201720 Movies With Stunning Architecture in the Starring Role. Oscar season is upon us, and to celebrate, we've rounded up the top 20 spectacular buildings seen in movies throughout the last decade (along with a few from further back in time).
Architecture and movies have always gone together, from Hitchcock's pioneering use and representation of space to Kubrick's anxious use of interiors to Terry Gilliam's absurdo-futurist panoply of forms in Brazil. These examples, great as they may be, are very well-known and always trotted out when any discussion of film and buildings is broached. But what about those lesser-spotted buildings from classic less-than-classic movies?
Check out the amazing architecture that formed a back drop for these movies :-
- 22/02/2017Modern house in the woods for Polish Sculptor Jacek Jarnuszkiewicz by YH2 in Bolton-Est, Québec, Canada. To read more go to :- http://www.caandesign.com/modern-house-woods-polish-sculptor-jacek-jarnuszkiewicz/
- 21/02/2017Mediterranean Finestrat villa with the sea in the horizon designed by Gestec inAlicante, Spain. http://www.caandesign.com/mediterranean-finestrat-villa-sea-horizon-designed-gestec/
- 20/02/2017See through house with two breath-taking views: towards the ocean and into the jungle. By Benjamin Garcia Saxe in Santa Teresa, Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica to read more go to:- http://www.caandesign.com/see-through-house-two-breath-taking-views-towards-ocean-jungle/
- 18/02/2017Secrets Of The Sydney Opera House.
There are only a few buildings that define an entire nation. The British Parliament building with its Big Ben clock tower is one. The Taj Mahal in India is another. The Sydney Opera House on the shores of Sydney Harbor in Australia is a third. Its soaring roofs are meant to evoke the sails of the ships that brought many of Australia’s original settlers to the Land Down Under.
Little did the people of Sydney suspect that a new opera house adjacent to the harbor would become the symbol of that new identity, not only to the citizens of Australia, but to the world. The story of the Sydney Opera House began in 1948 when the head of the Sydney Opera called for a new home for the city’s opera company. A request for proposed designs went out to architects around the world.
Most of the submissions were dreadful. Some looked like concrete blocks reminiscent of Soviet style architecture. Others resembled military barracks. One was hardly a proposal at all. It was simply a series of sketches scratched out by Danish architect Jørn Utzon. The son of a naval architect in Copenhagen, Utzon was able to conceptualize how his creation would look on the shore of Sydney harbor by imagining it set near Copenhagen overlooking the strait that separates Denmark from Sweden.
Check out the full article at : - http://greenbuildingelements.com/2017/01/30/secrets-sydney-opera-house/
Comments18/02/2017 #2 Ken Boddie#1 The same Stephen Hanley wrote a post on Australian cars which was a bit off the mark, but he appears to have nailed this one, Claire. thanks for the tag.
I always try and take overseas visitors to the Opera House when I visit Sydney with them, but I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to a performance inside, unless you can consider a company client function, inside one of the small entertainment rooms, a performance, although hardly musical. 😊
- 18/02/2017Casey Key Guest House by TOTeMS Architecture, Sarasota Bay, Florida, USA. To read more go to :- http://www.caandesign.com/casey-key-guest-house-by-totems-architecture/
- 17/02/2017House Mosi by Nico van der Meulen Architects, Johannesburg, South Africa - to read more go to: - http://www.caandesign.com/house-mosi-by-nico-van-der-meulen-architects/
- 16/02/2017Ols House by J. Mayer H. Architects - Stuttgart, Germany. To read more go to:- http://www.caandesign.com/ols-house-by-j-mayer-h-architects/
Comments16/02/2017 #1 Praveen Raj GullepalliThat's a cool home Claire! I had the opportunity of being driven through Stuttgart to reach the Karlsruhe airport via Baden Baden in 2012...the place had such quaint and lovable houses with either flowers painted on windows and flowerpots arranged on the sills.
- 16/02/201710 Surreal Tree Houses That Will Make Your Childhood Dreams Come True. Who says that grown-ups can’t have tree house goals?
When the demands of daily life become too much to bear, a special hideout in the sky can be your place to escape, cool off, or brainstorm in peace. Just one look at these inspirational mini-getaways and you may find yourself looking for a sturdy tree to scale. https://www.dwell.com/article/10-surreal-tree-houses-that-will-make-your-childhood-dreams-come-true-e3cbe35e
- 15/02/2017How to get off the grid and live rent-free
Many people dream of living off the grid, rent-free — and a select few have turned that dream into a reality. It takes more than just a stack of solar panels and a tiny house though – you need a plan that provides for all of the necessities of daily life. If you’ve ever wanted to make the leap to off-grid living but weren’t sure where to start, we’ve compiled a step-by-step guide to transitioning to a simpler, more sustainable lifestyle. http://inhabitat.com/how-to-get-off-the-grid-and-live-rent-free/
- 15/02/2017Hebil 157 Houses by Aytac Architects, Bodrum, Turkey - to read more go to :- http://www.caandesign.com/hebil-157-houses-by-aytac-architects/
- 10/02/2017New organic thin-film PV cells used to create power-generating windowgrendz.com Ito Electronic Co Ltd is developing a window equipped with solar cells. The window, “Smart Power Generation Window,” comes with a wooden frame and can generate 3Wh of electricity per window (44.9 x 101.5cm) per day on average. The window is made by...
- 03/02/2017China’s first vertical forest is rising in Nanjing. Stefano Boeri Architetti is bringing the vertical forest concept popularized in Milan to Nanjing, China with the Nanjing Towers. The two green towers could provide the city with a breath of fresh air, producing around 132 pounds of oxygen every day as they absorb carbon dioxide. They’ll accomplish this air-cleaning feat with 1,100 flourishing trees from 23 local species and 2,500 cascading shrubs and plants. http://inhabitat.com/chinas-first-vertical-forest-is-rising-in-nanjing/
- 03/02/2017Casa Cabo de Vila by Spaceworkers, Bitarães, Portugal - http://www.archdaily.com/801492/casa-cabo-de-vila-spaceworkers
- 02/02/2017This crazy alpine hotel looks like it’s sliding off a mountaintop. Designer Andrii Rozhko has created a crazy alpine hotel that looks like it’s about to slide off a mountainside. His design, called Hotel in Alps, features a dazzling glass hotel whose facade rises and falls like the mountains surrounding it. The eye-catching hotel is designed to help visitors experience the best of the famous European mountain range. http://inhabitat.com/bold-conceptual-glass-hotel-dazzles-on-alps-mountaintop/
- 02/02/2017Glass Wall House by Klopf Architecture - San Mateo, California, USA - to read more go to :- http://www.archdaily.com/802452/glass-wall-house-klopf-architecture
- 01/02/2017Space ship house in Cape Town near Boulders Beach. @Javier Rojas García - this was the house I was talking about - cool eh?
- 01/02/2017Kettle Hole House by Robert Young - East Hampton, New York, USA to read more go to :- http://www.caandesign.com/kettle-hole-house-by-robert-young/
- Foster + Partners Cascading Complex Wins Competition for New Hotel in Mecca. Foster + Partners has won an international competition for a new luxury hotel and apartment complex located just outside the Grand Mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. Borrowing from traditional Arab architecture and the area’s mountainous terrain, the mixed-use development will take the form of a cluster of vertical building clusters, arranged in a stepped topography. http://www.archdaily.com/804380/foster-plus-partners-cascading-complex-wins-competition-for-new-hotel-in-mecca-saudi-arabia?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=589063a804d3017e999cd176&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
- In Downtown Miami, Rafael Viñoly’s latest luxury development is on point. Striking a power pose at the Miami River basin, Rafael Viñoly’s luxury residential project One River Point is leading the way for major development in Downtown Miami. With sales launching this January, the building is set to break ground in late 2017. Featuring two symmetrical towers connected by the Sky Bridge and landscaped riverside park surroundings set across 1.8 acres, the building will be a welcome addition to the Miami River area, which is undergoing regeneration. It’s most striking design feature, the Sky Bridge, suspended at 800ft above the Miami River will hold a 35,000 sq ft private club run by Adrian Zecha, the Indonesian hotelier behind Aman Resorts. - http://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/one-river-point-miami-rafael-vinoly-downtown-miami#EjbtSa3hqxZEh3jR.99
- Two Moon House by Moon Hoon - Gyeonggi-do, South Korea to read more go to :- http://www.archdaily.com/645642/two-moon-moon-hoon
- Latvia’s Nature Concert Hall has a fabric skin that plays with the wind. Latvian studio Didzis Jaunzems Arhitektūra recently completed construction of the Nature Concert Hall, a striking angular pavilion for outdoor cultural events. Located within the grounds of Gauja National Park, the shelter can accommodate different activities under its unique lightweight roof. Built from a steel structure that rests gently on the ground, it’s wrapped in vertical fabric louvers that play with the wind and light. http://inhabitat.com/latvias-nature-concert-hall-has-a-fabric-skin-that-plays-with-the-wind/
- Marbella House by A-Cero, Marbella, Spain. To read more go to:- http://www.caandesign.com/marbella-house-by-a-cero/
- Producer30/01/2017Español & english ¿95 millones de dolares por vivir en el edificio más alto de New York?/ 95 million dollars for living in the tallest building of Manhatan?Hace muchos años discutí con una de mis profesoras de Proyectos en la Escuela sobre la necesidad de seguir haciendo rascacielos. Mi juventud me llevó a mantener la posición de que ya se habían hecho suficientes y que no había lugar para el...
Comments30/01/2017 #4 Itziar Ruiz LópezEse edificio es completamente increíble. Al parecer Cristiano Ronaldo tiene comprado un triplex ahí y el último piso se estaba subastando por la cantidad que tu dices. Ahora que, yo viviría feliz con esas vistas jaja. Gracias por compartir.
CC: @Marcelino Murillo Campelo30/01/2017 #2 Javier Rojas García#1 Yes, of course Tall buildings use to move at the top more than two meters and of course you are going to feel it. I don´t know if it is similar to boat movement but I´ll tell you after living two weeks in my new apartment... hahaha, could come with me and try it?30/01/2017 #1 Mamen 🐝 DelgadoWowww, that's so impressive...
Just one question @Javier Rojas García, I have read somewhere that tall, so tall, buildings have some kind of movement at the top because of the wind, and because they are not "absolutely rigid" structures. Is it possible to feel that movement? I can imagine myself in the morning getting up and feeling dizzy as if I had the night in a boat... 😂