- 18/02/2017Secrets Of The Sydney Opera House.
There are only a few buildings that define an entire nation. The British Parliament building with its Big Ben clock tower is one. The Taj Mahal in India is another. The Sydney Opera House on the shores of Sydney Harbor in Australia is a third. Its soaring roofs are meant to evoke the sails of the ships that brought many of Australia’s original settlers to the Land Down Under.
Little did the people of Sydney suspect that a new opera house adjacent to the harbor would become the symbol of that new identity, not only to the citizens of Australia, but to the world. The story of the Sydney Opera House began in 1948 when the head of the Sydney Opera called for a new home for the city’s opera company. A request for proposed designs went out to architects around the world.
Most of the submissions were dreadful. Some looked like concrete blocks reminiscent of Soviet style architecture. Others resembled military barracks. One was hardly a proposal at all. It was simply a series of sketches scratched out by Danish architect Jørn Utzon. The son of a naval architect in Copenhagen, Utzon was able to conceptualize how his creation would look on the shore of Sydney harbor by imagining it set near Copenhagen overlooking the strait that separates Denmark from Sweden.
Check out the full article at : - http://greenbuildingelements.com/2017/01/30/secrets-sydney-opera-house/
- 18/02/2017Casey Key Guest House by TOTeMS Architecture, Sarasota Bay, Florida, USA. To read more go to :- http://www.caandesign.com/casey-key-guest-house-by-totems-architecture/
- Producer17/02/2017What Is It That Makes Skyscrapers So Awe Inspiring?Skyscrapers have been symbols of human achievement and civilization for as long as they have existed. They naturally draw the eye whenever people look at a city's skyline at night, and many people have wondered why they inspire such awe in so many...
- 17/02/2017Self-shaping shelters that could revolutionize emergency housing. Emergency shelter design is becoming increasingly important due to the various refugee situations occurring around the world. Although some designs have already been awarded for their crucial role in providing emergency housing, other forward-thinking designers such as Haresh Lalvani are actively working to create a biomimicry-based system where shelter structures would be able to assemble themselves.
Recently featured on Redshift, Lalvani, the cofounder of the Pratt Institute Center for Experimental Structures, is employing a “wildly interdisciplinary range of tools” to create a type of generative geometry that would be able to assemble and repair, grow, and evolve all on its own. The designer is using concepts found in biology, mathematics, computer science and art to create systems where matter would start encoding information, a similar process to that of stem cells and genes in the human body. Lalvani explains that these biological systems are “the only place where software and hardware are the same thing.”
This type of installation could be a potential game changer for shelter design considering some of Lalvani’s installations take less than one minute to bend into shape. Additionally exciting is the fact that the raw material is just one thin sheet of metal, and can be easily transported and requires no tools for assembly, making it especially useful for emergency situations.
- 17/02/2017House Mosi by Nico van der Meulen Architects, Johannesburg, South Africa - to read more go to: - http://www.caandesign.com/house-mosi-by-nico-van-der-meulen-architects/
- 17/02/2017What If Everybody Lived In Just One Building?What If Everybody Lived In Just One Building? (Part 1) Sign up for a 30 day free trial with The Great Courses Plus Here: http://ow.ly/hegP307Lftg So, what if everybody in the world all got together in the same...
- 16/02/2017Otto Freundlich fue un destacado pintor cubista y un precursor de la abstracción, pintaba estructuras indefinidas y esculpía grandes cabezas. Fundador del November Group, que proponía un expresionismo de fondo socialista. Fue asesinado en 1943, a los 64, años en el campo de concentración nazi de Majdanek (Polonia) al que acababa de ser trasladado ese mismo día desde el París ocupado.
Ver más en: http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2955669/0/otto-freundlich-comunista-cosmico-exposicion-pintura/#xtor=AD-15&xts=467263
- This smog-fighting music academy will have an air purifier as effective as 33,000 trees. The Polish city of Krakow has some of the worst air pollution in the world. In hopes of improving the city’s air quality, FAAB Architektura proposed a smog-fighting music academy fitted with a German air purification system that they say works effectively as 33,000 city trees. The music academy was designed as part of a larger “Krakow Music City” masterplan that envisions a largely car-free and environmentally friendly development atop a former military base.
Located between Krakow and the Vistula River, the proposed masterplan is designed to blend into the natural landscape with its vernacular wooden lap panel cladding and use of energy-efficient technologies. Around 1,300 square meters of a Green City Solutions-developed air purification product would be embedded in the music academy’s moss-covered rooftops. The special moss culture converts air pollutants into biomass.
- Ols House by J. Mayer H. Architects - Stuttgart, Germany. To read more go to:- http://www.caandesign.com/ols-house-by-j-mayer-h-architects/
Comments16/02/2017 #1 Praveen Raj GullepalliThat's a cool home Claire! I had the opportunity of being driven through Stuttgart to reach the Karlsruhe airport via Baden Baden in 2012...the place had such quaint and lovable houses with either flowers painted on windows and flowerpots arranged on the sills.
- 10 Surreal Tree Houses That Will Make Your Childhood Dreams Come True. Who says that grown-ups can’t have tree house goals?
When the demands of daily life become too much to bear, a special hideout in the sky can be your place to escape, cool off, or brainstorm in peace. Just one look at these inspirational mini-getaways and you may find yourself looking for a sturdy tree to scale. https://www.dwell.com/article/10-surreal-tree-houses-that-will-make-your-childhood-dreams-come-true-e3cbe35e
- Producer16/02/2017General Roof MaintenanceLike everything in life, your roof may need more maintenance than you realize. Most people take extra good care of the inside of their homes without even realizing the outside of your home needs maintenance too. Your Spokane roof especially, after...
- 15/02/2017How to get off the grid and live rent-free
Many people dream of living off the grid, rent-free — and a select few have turned that dream into a reality. It takes more than just a stack of solar panels and a tiny house though – you need a plan that provides for all of the necessities of daily life. If you’ve ever wanted to make the leap to off-grid living but weren’t sure where to start, we’ve compiled a step-by-step guide to transitioning to a simpler, more sustainable lifestyle. http://inhabitat.com/how-to-get-off-the-grid-and-live-rent-free/
- 15/02/2017Hebil 157 Houses by Aytac Architects, Bodrum, Turkey - to read more go to :- http://www.caandesign.com/hebil-157-houses-by-aytac-architects/
- 14/02/2017Many years ago I designed several architecture pieces based in simple containers. It was a contest for a touristic place in Spain and all of them were refurbished with diferent sea paintings. Nowadays there are plenty of them around the world. I like this kind of architecture because is easy and faster to build.
Hace muchos años diseñé varias piezas de arquitectura basadas en simples containers. Eran para un concurso en una ciudad muy turística en España y todas estaban acabadas con pinturas marinas. Hoy en día hay muchos ejemplos a lo largo del mundo. Me gusta este tipo de arquitectura porque es fácil y rápida de montar.
- 13/02/2017Si te fijas bien, en un ojo caben un montón de cosas. Este vídeo es un conjunto de dibujos muy buenos.3 secondes Marc-Antoine Mathieu • Django Django Hail Bop Pour se mettre à la place d'un photon qui trampoline sur 33 miroirs au milieu d'une sale affaire de foot et de gros sous: "3 Secondes" Videocollage à partir...
- 12/02/2017En su momento poca gente supo que dos arquitectos españoles habían diseñado un pabellón en Londres. El Serpentine Gallery Pavillion se cambia cada verano y solo lo invitan a los mejores arquitectos del mundo. Selgas y Cano están en ese grupo.Exclusive video preview of SelgasCano's 2015 Serpentine Gallery Pavilion In the first of a series of exclusive video interviews to celebrate the opening of the fifteenth Serpentine Gallery Pavilion, gallery director Julia...
- 09/02/2017Habitat 67, in Montreal, Canada.
Conjunto habitacional super diferente de Montreal, Canadá. Chamado de "Habitat 67", é um complexo de apartamentos residenciais desenhado pelo arquiteto israelo–canadiano Moshe Safdie como parte de sua tese de doutorado em arquitetura. Foi construído para a Expo 67, a Exposição Universal celebrada entre abril e outubro de 1967.
- 08/02/2017Hockney en la Tarea de Londres. Más motivos para viajar y comparar diferentes concepciones del arte actual...Quizás este más amable y fácil de disfrutarGran retrospectiva para celebrar los 80 años de David Hockney, el más brillante artista inglés vivo - 20minutos.eswww.20minutos.es Todo listo para la magnífica exposición de la Tate Britain con casi 200 obras de los sesenta años de dedicación al arte de Hockney, la mayor nunca montada. El artista, que cumple 80 años en julio, sigue cambiando de estilo y forma de trabajo,...
- 08/02/2017A unique process.Transformation – Studio Dmedium.com What interviewing 170 elderly people in Japan and China taught us about designing for an aging...