- Producer21/02/2017An Indonesian Catastrophe: A Man- Made Mud Bath.I am standing thirty five meters up, on top of a huge dyke, just a short, thirty minute drive from Indonesia’s second largest city Surabaya. This massive dyke stretches ten kilometers either side of me and I am looking out over one of the largest...
Comments22/02/2017 #15 Paul Walters#14 @Dean Owen Thanks Dean its a jaw dropping scene. I read about it ( it gets zero press) in a geological mag and took a journey up there to see for myself. I wonder if you would be good enough to share this as I really would like as many people to see it as possible . Cheers22/02/2017 #14 Dean OwenThis is a brilliant piece of photojournalism. I must admit, when the Sidoardjo mudflow disaster appeared in the papers, I was quick to skip to the next story perhaps due to the wrongful perception that mudflow doesn't carry the same weight of disaster in my mind as earthquakes, tsunami and volcano eruptions. I feel a heavily flawed and corrupt justice system will mean that due process will not run it's proper course.22/02/2017 #13 Pamela 🐝 Williams#7 There will be no stopping it Paul. It would be like stopping an actual volcano from erupting. All they can do is let the planet do what it can do to heal itself. Unfortunately people will need to continue to get out of the way. I don't think this is the last of such situations. It's only a matter of time before something similar happens in the ocean from oil platforms (The Gulf of Mexico spill; Deep Water Horizon is a perfect example). Greed is overriding all sense of safe practices and as Jim says; Agent Orange will not stop until we're all knee deep in oil/gas infused sludge. Such stupidity in the name of money. Disgusting by any measure. Makes me think of Pompeii, if the planet survives us, they'll find those statues and villages in an archaeological dig and wonder what the hell happened.21/02/2017 #11 Jim 🐝 Cody@Paul Waters Fracking has been around for decades and unfortunately will be around for the next 100 years. It destroys our land, waist precious water resources and causes earthquakes.
In my opinion fracking will destroy more of our land and be more detrimental than all the coal and copper mining has done since the beginning of time and It will display hundreds of millions of people worldwide.
I see no letup on fracking due to the greed of oil and gas companies. No matter who is in office in first world countries fracking and oil drilling is here to stay for decades to come.21/02/2017 #8 Jim MurrayWow @Paul Walters. When you read a story like this it kind of makes all the bitching I do about Agent Orange seem rather trivial. But the fact of the matter is that fracking is the key cause for a lot of the drinking water problems being experienced in the US right now, and Agent Orange has just loosened up all the regulations for the coal industry. Sadness on top of sadness.21/02/2017 #4 Lisa 🐝 Gallagher#1 Yes it does need to be shared and shared it will be! This is horrifying. If they reported about this on the news I don't recall hearing about it. Sadly, they spend so much time reporting on US Politics, we don't hear about all the major news going on around the world. What a major disaster, man made disaster, that is. Was this caused by pipeline or fracking? They are saying fracking in the US is causing a major increase in earthquakes. The Dakota pipeline deal is going to happen even though it was stopped because of the people living on Indian Reservations in the area protested this pipeline under Obama. Chemicals leaking into water supplies, through the soil etc... will cause many illnesses and early deaths. This story is one that people should take heed from. I never heard of a mud volcano, but wow, it's both frightening and sad. Thanks for sharing this important story @Paul Walters
- 16/02/2017#GoodMemories (Feb 2016) Visiting Scientist in #Japan at #Yamaguchi Univ. in JSPS project and at Jap Ass on Odour Environment JAOE #Tokyo
- 12/02/2017Looks like someone just kicked the bee hive -- and hopefully will BEE stung by a swarm: "The population of the rusty-patched bumble bee has plunged by 90 percent since the early 1990's following a trend that has seen bee populations plummeting in general."White House Blocks Listing of Bumble Bee As Endangered Speciesgizmodo.com The rusty-patched bumble bee was scheduled to be added to the endangered species list on Friday but The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has announced that process will need to be reviewed due to an executive order from the president. Lobbyists who...
- 10/02/2017Robotic bee could help pollinate crops as real bees declinewww.newscientist.com With bee populations tumbling, an autonomous drone just 4 centimetres wide could help pollinate crops by flying from flower to...
- 06/02/2017Odour sampling in a big Landfill with Equipments & Mobile Laboratory of the Sanitary Environmental Engineering Division (SEED) of the Università degli Studi di Salerno
- 29/01/2017A new synthetic fertiliser could help farmers to save money, boost food production and reduce planet-warming emissionsgrendz.com Scientists have found after trialling it on rice farms in Sri Lanka. By slowing down the release of nutrients the fertiliser will help farmers to increase crop yields using less chemicals, the scientists from Britain and Sri Lanka said. Chemical...
- 27/01/2017Spectacular: PET bottles bring education to Cameroon!
With this unusual headline we show that former PET bottles, now recycled to laptop bags of DICOTA, finally care for the safe transportation of Labdoo laptops around the world.
This time laptops have been handed over to Rosina Hug from "Informatik for Afrika" in Switzerland http://informatik-afrika.net/ to help spread education.
A big thank you also to Ruedi Nauer from DICOTA, who supports us another time with a huge pile of laptop bags!
#Labdoo #laptops #sustainable #education #Cameroon
- 27/01/2017Support our US Park Rangers who are risking all to protect the environment. Follow them on Twitter @AltNatParkSer #NatParkSer #NationalParksPresident Donald Trump taken on by unlikely foe: Badass park rangerswww.theregister.co.uk Censorship efforts backfire on President Snowflake and...
- 26/01/2017Cities with the worst air pollution level.
- 24/01/2017Nothing to see here, folks. Just move along.Trump bans EPA employees from updating public via press or social media - The Boston Globewww.bostonglobe.com President Trump has installed specific prohibitions banning press releases, blog updates or posts to the agency’s social media...
- 16/01/2017The waste from discarded electronic gadgets and e-appliances has reached severe levels in East Asiagrendz.com Posing a growing threat to health and the environment unless safe disposal becomes the norm. China was the biggest culprit with its electronic waste more than doubling, according to a new study by the United Nations University. But nearly every...
- 16/01/2017A 5-km-high skyscraper that eats smog coming up next.grendz.com 2017 only just arrived, but one manufacturing company is already looking 45 years into the future. Arconic, a materials science company, has envisioned a 3-mile-high (4.8-km) skyscraper built from materials that are either in-development or have...
- You don't have to wait for Spring!How You Can Help Save The Bees -- Even In Winter | The Huffington Postwww.huffingtonpost.com Bees are vital to food security. Let's give the critters a helping...
- For our United KIngdom Bee! Throw a bomb for the Bees; A Seedbom that is! All seeds used are on the Royal Horticulture Societies list as good for pollinators!Butterflies Flower Meadow Seed Mixturewww.meadowinmygarden.co.uk
- 12/01/2017Zero-emission boat prepared for round-the-world Odysseywww.cbsnews.com The first self-sufficient boat powered only by emission-free energy will start a six-year trip around the world in the...
- 11/01/2017I just did a post ad (not sure how that works) so basically please check the job ad I posted. It is for an online survey , the client's requirement is for an European who knows English and Sustainability / Eco, your job will be to read the client's sustainability report and answer some questions and give your opinion. So the client can improve its next year's corporate sustainability report. The clients pays via PayPal 10,000 JPY (about 81 Euros) if you are interested to know more and fit the bill (European + Sustainability background) let me know. Thanks
- 08/01/2017Suda - The Painting ElephantElephants Painting: Genuine elephant Paintings http://ThaiElephantArt.com Genuine paintings by elephants. In the video you will see Suda the elephant painting for Ms Kim. She wished to have Suda the...
Comments08/01/2017 #5 Alexa SteeleI've seen this type of video before, along with claims the animals have been abused, so I checked it out on Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/elephantpainting.asp08/01/2017 #1 Liesbeth Leysen, MSc. Brand Ambassador beBee, Inc.wow!
- 08/01/2017Shijiazhuang, China: When your government let you be killed for profit. In Beijing at least citizens wear masks. Not on Shijiazhuang. Their citizens walk around like nothing is happening. They feel there is nothing they can do and so are resolved to die in the smog.
A photo of a train (white) after traveling through the smog from Shijiazhuang to Beijing.
- 07/01/2017This could change weather patterns across the globeScientists say the global ocean circulation may be more vulnerable to shutdown than we thoughtwww.washingtonpost.com Future climate change could cause a major ocean current to collapse — with effects that radiate all over the...
Comments07/01/2017 #1 Julio Angel 🐝Lopez LopezI love this buzz @Pamela 🐝 Williams
They seem alarmist, but it is science with probabilities. To change a climatic classification, it takes 50 years of change (temperature, pressure, rainfall)
Another eye we should have in the great volcanic boilers, New Krakatoa, Fregeos Fields and Yellowstone.
That would bring us another glaciation.
Great honey, great great honey.
- 07/01/2017Wonderfully unusual Creatures on our Planet:
Known as Nudibranchs and Melibe Sea Slug.
Melibe have developed an oral veil or 'fish net' which they use to scan the ground with. Constantly on the move, looking for victims, when found the veil contracts, trapping their prey.
These beautiful slugs are usually brilliantly colored and this in itself can act as a deterrent against predators. Some sea slugs secrete acid from stinging cells in their tentacles while others secrete acid from cells in their mantle.
Nudibranchs are slow moving, can swim or be propelled along either by muscular contraction or by millions of tiny hairs on the bottom of a fleshy 'foot', they have a voracious appetite and feed with a rasp like tongue.nudibranch melibe / Puri Jati /Bali2016 curious and Strange nudibranch melibe in bali https://www.facebook.com/emeric.benhalassa https://www.facebook.com/marco.cramarossa...
- 06/01/2017Laptops for a school in Senegal
Thanks to travelers from Girona, Spain, laptops were delivered to a school in Podor, Senegal.
These laptops were sanitized by students from schools hubs located in collaboration with other hubs in the area of Barcelona.
Great team work everyone!
More about this school: https://www.labdoo.org/edoovillage?e=23892
#Labdoo #sustainable #education #collaboration
- 06/01/2017(EV) startup Faraday Future has finally unveiled its first production model, the FF 91.grendz.com The company, which is based in the US but financed by Chinese consumer electronics giant LeEco, showed off a prototype of its first actual car at CES in Las Vegas on Tuesday after years of only teasing glimpses of its auto technology – and if This...