- Producer20/10/2017Ezibouy Appoints Phil Friedman to Lead Marketing Effort...Ezibuoy Pty Ltd. and Phil Friedman of the Port Royal Group sign agreement for the introduction of revolutionary mooring pick-up system to North America...October 20, 2017, Fort Lauderdale, FL ― Ezibuoy™ of Perth, Australia and Phil Friedman of the...
- Producer18/10/2017Looking Back at Previous Work - IDESIGNED AND BUILT BACK IN THE 1980s, THIS STOUT 41-FOOT STEEL-BUILT SAILING YACHT WAS PART OF MY KODIAK CRUISER SERIES...Each year, as the opening of the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (FLIBS) approaches, I find myself scanning back...
Comments19/10/2017 #14 Phil Friedman#12 Thank you, @Lada 🏡 Prkic, for the share and the kind words. I too am concerned about the effect of the new restriction on sharing to hives. I don't understand why notifications cannot be restricted to Producer posts, while the hives remain open to short buzzes of the kind you prefer to do. That way, interesting and timely information could be flowed to beBee users via their membership in their hives of choice, while the direct connection between Producer authors and their followers could be sustained. Cheers!19/10/2017 #12 Lada 🏡 PrkicCongrats, Phil. It looks like it was built recently and not 30-ish years ago.
I shared this post in the Interesting Engineering ... hive.
It's the first one I found suitable for the mentioned hive after recently introduced changes regarding quick buzzes. In all the industry-oriented hives of which I am a member, there are no new contents related to the intended hive topics.18/10/2017 #8 Paul "Pablo" Croubalian#6 LOL, no danger of that. My wife has vetoed the last two items, building a boat from a bare hull and building a kit car. Both require an extended appropriation of the garage or the rental of a workspace.
The Bucket List is as complete as it's gonna get.
On another note, I plan to be in your neck of the woods in May. If your schedule allows for it, I'd love to buy you a coffee. What do you say, me, you, @Candice 🐝 Galek and whoever will be in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area?18/10/2017 #7 Phil Friedman#5 Me too, Harvey. But although I've built boats with my own hands "Alchemy" was not one of them. You can see the Kodiak Cruiser I built by and for myself at:
Thanks for reading and commenting... and for the kind words. Cheers!18/10/2017 #4 Paul "Pablo" CroubalianNice! A well-built, well-maintained boat will outlive its owner.
I often envy you, @Phil Friedman. Yacht design was my first choice of career. If I had zigged instead of zagged 42 years ago, who knows, we may have worked together.
Building a yacht is one of the two things left on my Bucket List
- 02/08/2017Never once during a span of some three decades have I ever regretted making the decision to pursue a career "messing about with boats"... https://www.bebee.com/producer/@friedman-phil/the-portable-boatyard
- 27/03/2017The primary operation of the Port Royal Group for Yacht Builders, Buyers and Owners hive is being shifted back to LinkedIn, where it has a membership of some 800 yacht industry professionals and where the conversation is 100% authentic insider discussion. If you are seriously interested in yachting or the yacht industry, you are invited to join us there. https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4537627
- 08/10/2016Ever Seen Steve Jobs MEGAYACHT "Venus"? Here it is in St Maarten, CARIBBEAN! View all the new 'Sophisticated Lady' travel logs in one location here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... Now you can view 'Sophisticated Lady'...
- 20/09/2016THESE TIPS FOR IMPROVING PROFIT RIGHT NOW ARE USEFUL TO A VARIETY OF SMALL BUSINESSES... http://info.mytaskit.com/ebook-improve-marine-services-profits, or http://www.portroyalgroup.com
Comments18/09/2016 #1 Phil FriedmanI first met Richard when he hired me as a freelance to do a handful or reviews for a Motorboat magazine test rally being held in Sarasota. Only much later, after I had negotiated, with Bonnie O'Boyle and Jeff Hammond, an editorial staff job working out of PMY's Fort Lauderdale office, did I learn that Richard had put the bug in Bonnie's ear about hiring me.
After he became EIC at PMY, there was some friction between us, and after five years with PMY, I left for other challenges and Richard pursued his career. Over the years, we would see one another at boat shows and talk, occasionally even have a beer.
But here is a peek into his character. A couple of years ago, after I completed a freelance feature for Peter Swanson at PassageMaker, Peter said in complimenting the work that, "Richard said you would do great work, and that I should definitely go ahead with hiring you." He had once again quietly and in the background, given me a hand up. Richard Thiel was truly one of the good guys.
Fair winds and safe harbors, Richard. R.I.P.
- 09/07/2016FAIR WINDS AND SAFE HARBORS, CAP'N CHRIS... http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2016/07/longtime-marine-journalist-loses-cancer-battle/
- 08/05/2016Non-Legal Fine Points of Yacht New-Build and Refit Contracts - IXwww.bebee.com THE INS AND OUTS OF BUILDING UNDER SURVEY AND CLASSIFICATION... Okay, so far the discussion and incoming comments have been pretty civilized....
- 06/05/2016Non-Legal Fine Points of Yacht New-Build and Refit Contracts - IIIwww.bebee.com NEW-BUILD AND MAJOR REFIT CONTRACTS CAN BE LEGALLY BULLET-PROOF, YET STILL FAIL TO RESULT IN SUCCESSFUL PROJECT COMPLETION… The “SOW” is the...
- 06/05/2016Continuing my series taking an insider look at the ins and outs of new yacht build and major refit contract management....Non-Legal Fine Points of Yacht New-Build and Refit Contracts - IIwww.bebee.com NEW-BUILD AND MAJOR REFIT CONTRACTS CAN BE LEGALLY BULLET-PROOF, YET STILL FAIL TO RESULT IN SUCCESSFUL PROJECT COMPLETION… And several critical,...
- 22/04/2016There is a difference between caution and fear. These tips help a new build buyer to minimize risk...Financial Protections for New-Build Yacht Buyerswww.bebee.com BRINGING BUSINESS SENSE TO EMOTIONALLY-DRIVEN PURCHASES... Almost all contracts for the construction of a new yacht provide for an initial...
- Producer16/04/2016App or Not, Garbage In Means Garbage OutYACHT PROJECT MANAGEMENT NOT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED ... GIGO ain't the name of an actress or musical rock star. It's an acronym from the 1960s. Some believe it's a play on the accounting terms for inventory procedures, LIFO and FIFO. But...
- 05/04/2016PHIL FRIEDMAN and the PORT ROYAL GROUP APPOINTED PROJECT MANAGER and OWNER’S REPRESENTATIVE FOR 80-FOOT NEW BUILD IN TAIWAN
December 24, 2015, Fort Lauderdale, FL – One-time Palmer Johnson Yachts President and CEO, Phil Friedman, announced that he and his firm, the Port Royal Group, has accepted appointment as Project Manager and Owner’s Representative in a the build of a semi-custom 80-foot long-distance offshore motor yacht..
According to Friedman, his client is a Texas-based yachtsman who originally retained him to evaluate the feasibility of doing a new build in China. However, after the decision was made not to proceed there, the client asked Friedman to facilitate putting a deal together and to consult in the development of the General Specification and contract for undertaking the build in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
Friedman and the Port Royal Group worked to develop a very complete General Specification for the project, which includes twin Caterpillar C-18 Acert 1,150 HP diesel main propulsion engines driving fixed-pitch propellers through straight shafts running in a SeaTorque enclosed shaft system. The CATs were chosen for their high torque production and ability to deliver that torque beginning at lower engine speeds right up through WOT.
Up to date “green” equipment improvements include Smart Starts™ on the yacht’s A/C compressors. These reduce starting current demands by as much as 65%, enabling smaller Northern Lights generators to be installed than might otherwise be the case. And because the smaller generators are more efficiently sized for average running loads (which should be at 60% to 70% of total genset capacity), the result is cleaner fuel burn and elimination of smoking and coking.
PORT ROYAL GROUP for Yacht Builders, Buyers and Owners~ 100 buzzes
This hive provides an affinity networking forum where members can seek answers to questions, express candid opinions, and share experiences concerning yacht building, buying, and ownership. Membership is comprised primarily of yacht industry professionals, including boatyard operators, potential yacht buyers, and current yacht owners. The primary objective of the group is the interchange of relevant knowledge and experience, for the mutual benefit of all group members.