- Producer13/02/2017An Office Move Inspires a Musubi StoryOur office moved a few weeks ago. Like any re-location, this disrupts the commute from home to office and creates an adventure for discovering new places to go during the day. I especially like going to new places to eat, and finding better...
Comments13/02/2017 #4 Wayne Yoshida#3 Thanks for reading and commenting, Dean. And yes, I think musubi triggers great memories for a lot of people when they were kids. Probably since it is a "finger food" and easy to make. Or maybe it is the "surprise inside" thing kids like to experience when eating.
It's amazing how good musubi tastes at the beach or aboard a boat. Must be the salt air, or something.13/02/2017 #3 Dean OwenYou bring back many childhood memories. Onigiri was almost always in my lunchbox, usually with sake (grilled salmon) or okaka, (dried bonito flakes). I had no idea musubi/onigiri had gone international. We had a Japanese restaurant in the City (London's Financial district) that was rather popular with the bankers. My brother manned the bento box section, but onigiri did not do well.
- ProducerSMALL BOUTIQUE HOTELS SRI LANKAhttp://www.girlfromceylon.com/2017/09/27/small-boutique-hotels-sri-lanka/ Unknown but great hotels are thereWith our busy life we are always looking to our calendar searching for a long weekend. So once we found we are then busy with planning a...
- ProducerRanmudu Ella waterfallhttp://www.girlfromceylon.com/2017/11/07/ranmudu-ella-waterfalls-thunmodara/ Weekend escape to Weekend escape to Ranmudu Ella waterfall Love this beauty of the waterfall Hello friends it has been long time that I posted my last blog posts....
- ProducerCelebrate New Year Eve 2017 / 18 in Sri LankaNEW YEARS EVE – SRI LANKA 2017/18http://www.girlfromceylon.com/2017/11/14/new-years-eve-sri-lanka-201718/Celebrate New Year Eve in Sri LankaHey 2017 it’s almost end and less than 2 months to be end. So this is the real begin of the tourism season in...
- Producer26/09/2017Beat the Gloomy Weather and Head to Goa for a Sunny Break Winter is coming and London, as per usual, is drab with cloudy skies and a moody sun. You are not the only one looking to escape the monotonous weather and travel to a sunny paradise. Not for the first time, we are majorly crushing on...
- 12/08/2017A nutrition scientist predicts a future in which pizza is nutritious as a superfoodwww.businessinsider.com We might get nutrients from super-charged versions of foods we like to eat, like pizza, according to Abbott Nutrition director Dan...
- 05/08/2017Mofongo: The beloved Puerto Rican mash with deep ties to Africawww.washingtonpost.com ANATOMY OF A DISH | It’s made of fried and mashed plantains, then stuffed and...
- 25/07/2017In the Kitchen with Boria
ShChi is normally a vegetarian affair.... ham and beef have been known to show up when I get in the kitchen.
1 lb sliced mushrooms - I like to use shitake ; yes I know sorrels are standard - but it is my kitchen.
1 lb spinach leaves - just buy the salad bag - in Korea I could not get them fresh any other way
2 onions, chopped - I like the small red ones - more flavor
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 potatoes peeled - sliced like in the borscht recipe
1 tb fresh Dill, chopped
1/2 cup cream
1/2 head cabbage
Add all to the pot, fill with 3 cups water - bachelor Hack Trick - Add two tablespoons of canned mushroom soup to the water - it thickens the pot nicely
Cook on low for 2 hours - 1 /2 an hour before serving - add the fried cabbage.
Serve with Sour Cream - Friends and Vodka !
- Producer25/07/2017Summer PlovToday's menu creation is Plov, the traditional Central Asia peasant rice dish. The meal is said to originate from Uzbekistan – but there are many regional variations on the theme, and nearly 100 different versions have been printed and celebrated....
Comments26/07/2017 #6 Dean OwenSo often peasant food is the best. This is the second time I've read someone saying soak the rice. Is the rice different over there? I never soak rice. Japanese and Chinese short grain rice I wash thoroughly. When I cook a risotto I never soak or wash Arborio rice. Likewise for Thai rice and Basmati.25/07/2017 #3 Pedro 🐝 CasanovaOh...but the original Paella has not seafood...it has chicken...chorizo ( sausage ) and even rabbit meat. plus vegetables and of course the rice. Well in fact they are multiple variations of Paellas.. And believe me. That recipe could pass as a rice dish (paella ) any given Sunday.25/07/2017 #2 Brian McKenzie#1 ha ha ha - they don't do seafood here. Which is really odd - the rivers and lakes are full of amazing yummy fish. But shell fish are absolutely absent. Though the rumor is that the Chinese will be bringing crawdads with them when the Belt Road is the zone..... I can't wait.
- Producer06/07/2017Ghiaccioli al Limone con FruttaGhiaccioli al Limone con Frutta: bontà a cuor leggero!Freschi, leggeri, dissetanti i Ghiaccioli al Limone con Frutta che vi propongo in questa ricetta sono lo snack ideale per dare ristoro al nostro corpo nelle calde giornate estive. Pochi...
- Producer07/06/2017Insalata Greca - Ricette EstiveInsalata Greca: un piatto fresco, leggero e…buonissimo!!Quando arriva l’estate cosa c’è di più buono e rinfrescante di un bel piatto di insalata per pranzo? Esistono tante sfiziose ricette per preparare gustosi piatti di insalata. Dalle più semplici...
- Producer26/02/2017Inspired by Tradition It was Friday morning and I hadn't made my Challah yet. I was standing in my kitchen tapping my fingers on the counter wondering if I should just go buy some, knowing I would be miserable if I did, when my daughter-in-law Britt and 3 year old...
Comments27/02/2017 #5 Venita Crow@Paul Walters It is actually the part of the dough or the separated little piece that is offered in memory of the offering to be brought to the holy temple to be given to the pries, and there is way more detail I wont go into. These days it has become a synonym for this Sabbath brioche #3
- 19/02/2017Meet Borsok (Борсок) the deep fried doughy cousin to the marshmellow, and nearly as addictive. Drowned and sizzled in full fatty oil / animal lard vat and left in the mix until they are perfectly puffed and golden brown. There are not tater tots here - but these will suffice nicely in plussing up your waistline line as well. Frying and dunking the squares makes them pop into a hollow treat that eats like marshmellow carnival peanut candy but has all the umpf of flavor like a hush puppy. They would be great with cheese in the center. ..and bacon too.
- 16/02/2017Lunchtime Exploring, Part 2: New York Style Pastrami
As mentioned in my Buzz about office re-location and finding good places for lunch (Musubi-ya), here is another place, about a 10 minute walk from my office. Tommy Pastrami.
Having some real New York City deli pastrami (with mustard) and cream soda, I have to say this is close.
But I still prefer the West Los Angeles pastrami place called Jonnies.
- Producer09/02/2017To Cobbler or Not To Cobbler...That Is the QuestionI'm torn between making a pineapple upside down cake and a peach...
- Farmers' Market Sunday Farm fresh fruits, vegetables and honey from local growers in my hometown of Laguna Niguel Calif...
- 27/01/2017Get Ready for The Game - with Pastrami and SwissPastrami and Swiss Football Sandwiches - Cook's Countrywww.cookscountry.com Brushed with a butter sauce and baked, these hot sandwiches are a game-day...
ExploreTraveler Travel Foodies+ 100 buzzes
Exploreing food from around the world.