- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences, and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you are a problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems? Do you get a little obsessed with the details?
We are looking for a Engineering Manager to write the next chapter in our Platform Engineering. You will have complete ownership of technical and product roadmap work closely with Product, Business and Operations teams. You will be responsible for scoping, architectural design, working with other technology teams and running the iterative rollout of features. All the systems we build/manage are critical to the success of the business. This means quality and reliability are paramount and large scale launches have to be threaded carefully without impacting day-2-day business.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a significant impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
API Platform Team builds services for one of the most popular mobile services in the world. It services a multitude of clients including phones, tablets, browsers and is even integrated into a number of 3rd party systems around the world. This team works with a diverse array of lower-tier systems collecting and connecting the data and services necessary to fulfill the requests of our clients. It exposes a wide variety of challenges from the deep technical implementations of the scalable core platform to the user-visible features and functionality available to our customers.
You’ll spend time on the following:- You'll be leading a team of software engineers to help us develop microservices at a scale that is required for Groupon
- You will hire, mentor and coach your direct reports to be the best they can be, both in their current roles and on their career
- You will be working cross-functionally with other teams to understand and prioritize user asks, features and tooling.
- You will own the roadmap, supporting your long term vision for the future that is coupled with tactical execution
- Running ongoing delivery and daily operation of service
- Continuously improving team’s development and service management process
We’re excited about you if you have:- Responsible for building and leading a high performance engineering team.
- Highly technical with a strong background in computer science. Track record of handling technical design and completing projects with high quality.
- You have experience motivating teams towards delivering business results in a dynamic agile environment.
- Comfortable operating at leadership level as well as getting hands dirty.
- You have a history of launching v0.1, 0.2 quickly and iterate.
- You have excellent communication skills, both in person and via the keyboard.
- Your experience in related domains within e-commerce is helpful.
- Making the decisions that impact technical design, development and planning for one or more projects/programs that impact multiple teams or functions.
- Frequently interact with multiple cross-functional teams and lead a cooperative effort to drive key technical projects.
We value managers who are:- B.E or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Several years of experience in designing and developing software.
- Experience developing a team of engineers.
- Experience designing and implementing large, scalable distributed systems
- Ability to architect, design and develop complex systems.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with multiple languages Java,
About the company
Groupon is a global e-commerce marketplace connecting millions of subscribers with local merchants by offering activities, travel, goods and services in more than 45 countries. Groupon was launched in November 2008, and the first market for Groupon was Chicago, followed soon thereafter by Boston, New York City, and Toronto. By October 2010 Groupon served more than 150 markets[clarification needed] in North America and 100 markets in Europe, Asia, and South America, and had 35 million registered users. By the end of March 2015, Groupon served more than 500 markets worldwide, nearly 48.1 million active customers and featured more than 425,000 active deals globally