- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Grow as a developer by building things that help local businesses around the world thrive
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you are a problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems? Do you get a little obsessed with the details?
We are looking for a software engineer to join our team to support and evolve the design, implementation, and operational support of internal systems that span business side and engineering departments.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
Our development ecosystem:
- Languages: Java, Ruby on Rails
- Node/Express JS
- Deployment to our own data centers
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will develop compliance applications for the Groupon microservice ecosystem
- You will collaborate with teams in other organizations to ensure that required business features and compliance rules are implemented effectively
- Build service artifacts, plan deployment, coordinate timeline and tasks with project management and teams
- Improve service stability by identifying critical service specific metrics, setting meaningful alerting thresholds, and automating alerting responses
- Create and maintain documentation for your projects
- Mentor junior staff
- Drive the discussion and decisions of technical topics related to the team
We’re excited about you if you have:
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Sciences or related fields with 5+ years in software development
- Solid knowledge with relational databases
- You should have experience developing and supporting web applications and with supporting and troubleshooting internal and external requests / bug report in transactional environment
- Good communication and collaboration skills
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with quality: Your production code just works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.
About the company
Groupon is a global e-commerce marketplace connecting millions of subscribers with local merchants by offering activities, travel, goods and services in more than 45 countries. Groupon was launched in November 2008, and the first market for Groupon was Chicago, followed soon thereafter by Boston, New York City, and Toronto. By October 2010 Groupon served more than 150 markets[clarification needed] in North America and 100 markets in Europe, Asia, and South America, and had 35 million registered users. By the end of March 2015, Groupon served more than 500 markets worldwide, nearly 48.1 million active customers and featured more than 425,000 active deals globally