- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- SCHIPHOL NL
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 160,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Position Purpose & Summary: This position will provide R&D leadership for the European R&D team in the Protein Asia/Europe Group within the Global Protein and Salt Enterprise (CPS). The position will ensure alignment of technical activities with business strategy and growth objectives in the European region and will be responsible for development and implementation of new products & solutions as well as high performance innovation initiatives.The R&D Director Protein Europe will provide broad technical leadership across all areas of technology (research, customer focused innovation and high-performance innovation) for the European based R&D team in the following areas:
- Innovation Portfolio - Working in conjunction with commercial and marketing counterparts, the R&D Director provides the technical thought leadership in the development of the innovation strategy and assures the development pipeline and project portfolio are robust and aligned with business strategy.
- Technology Strategy – Build the product line architecture (in conjunction with our business partners) for key regional product lines and translate this into a technology roadmap for the business. Provide thought leadership for technology development direction and critical capabilities necessary to accomplish business goals.
- Talent Management – Lead, manage and develop a team of individuals working together to accomplish common goals.
- Resource and Budget Management – Manages the innovation portfolio in alignment with regional and global priorities and drives execution ensuring effective resource deployment. Directly manages New Product Development Lead and Technology & Process Development Lead and ensures alignment of projects with business goals and customer segmentation model.
- IP Strategy – Working in collaboration with our Intellectual asset management colleagues, ensure protection of our intellectual assets, IP strategy development and execution to create differentiation around new product offerings.
- Technology Partnerships - Responsible for maintaining strategic technical partnerships, including external technology providers, and internal global technology partnerships such as Ingredient, Materials and Nutrition, Applications and Core Technology and Enabling Science teams.
- This position will become a member of the Cargill Protein European Leadership Team and the Protein LATAM & Protein Asia/Europe R&D Leadership Team. Principal Accountabilities: 40% R&D Leadership and Technical Strategy
- Provides strategic oversight and coordination of the development of the innovation pipeline/portfolio with unique and disruptive ideas for the conversion of scientific knowledge.
- Provides leadership and coordination to the growth of distinctive product and system offerings.
- Provides technical leadership and capability building to translate insights into innovative product solutions/offerings.
- Develops vision and implementation for technology needs for the business.
- Leads the assessment of potential value creation and optimization generated from innovation discoveries and coordination of execution.
- Serves as strategic/tactical enabler to the development of strategies, processes, and control mechanisms.
- Ensures compliance with IP laws, regulations and company policies. Provides leadership to establish procedures and tools to manage the intellectual assets.
- Ensures business strategies, processes, and control mechanisms are in compliance with IP laws, regulations and company policies. 30% Business/Customer Partner
- Provides a unique Scientific, Technical and customer perspective that contributes to business strategy development and implementation for the region at the European Leadership Team level.
- Drives customer focus and technical relationship plans for key strategic accounts and takes direct responsibility for customer satisfaction and business retention.
- Work with commercial and marketing teams to surface customer needs and to translate those needs into winning products and solutions beyond primary area of focus and expertise.
- Drives the creation of solutions for quality control and improvement during launch and post launch of new and existing products to meet customer expectations.
- Builds innovation pipeline for adjacent and transformational technology projects aligned with business strategies collaboratively identified between R&D, Food Safety and Operations. 20% Talent Leadership
- Accountable for performance management, talent development, succession planning, employee engagement and talent acquisition/retention.
- Leads strategic workforce planning - identification & definition of required capabilities aligned with strategy.
- Builds and develops a “one R&D team” and “play to win” mindset in the team.
- Builds connections and teaming beyond direct reports, developing effective ways of working across broader Protein R&D resources and R&D shared capabilities teams. 10% Resource & Budget Management
- Manages R&D resource deployment within Europe.
- Leverages internal and external capability suppliers and partners to effectively deliver against organizational goals.
- Manages R&D budget to plan.
- Responsible for overall R&D spend for European region.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of science/technology
- Minimum 10 years work experience in food R&D with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in one or more of the following markets is required: protein, consumer packaged goods, food science, poultry, further processed meats.
- Proven track record of developing and commercializing new products and technology
- Experience and track record in leading innovation (portfolio management, gated process, resource management, leading and delivering success in projects)
- Experience in talent management & development
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills, demonstrated. Strong English written and verbal language skills
- Strong customer focus and interpersonal skills to develop and cultivate deep customer relationships
- Strong business acumen
- Strong customer facing skills – good written and verbal skills and strength in communicating under pressure Preferred Qualifications:
- MSc/PhD in Food or Ingredient Science, Meat Science or relevant discipline
- Proven project management or leadership experience and skills, 5 years of experience in building and sustaining high performance teams
- Prior relationships with Food Service or Poultry customers
- Laboratory and pilot plant management experience
- Knowledge of regulatory affairs and animal welfare in the animal protein space
- Demonstrated ability to lead innovation as measured by consistent growth over time in new product innovation pipeline and innovation outcome Our Offer In return for your expertise and commitment, we will provide a fast paced stimulating international environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest and most solid private companies in the world. Interested? Then make sure to send us your CV and cover letter in English today. Follow us on LinkedIn: Job
Research and Development
- ms project