- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The European Clinical Development organization within our companies Global Research function is recruiting for a recognized clinical expert to provide dedicated support to all clinical development activities for our Vaccines Therapeutic Area in Europe.
Our Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance team push the boundaries of global healthcare through research and innovation. Through clinical trials and surveillance, we ensure the safety and efficacy of our existing and pipeline products to produce safe, effective, innovative medicine.
The Vaccines Regional Clinical Director (RCD) will be responsible for facilitating and developing collaborations with the Vaccines and Infectious disease medical/scientific community to identify potential interest and foster collaboration in participating in our companies- research studies across Europe. The role includes the lead or co-lead of clinical studies within the field of vaccines in Europe.
Reporting to the European Vaccines Therapeutic Area Head, the Vaccines RCD will play a significant role in the further development of our companies European Clinical Development organization and in building a strong and active network of RCDs across country organizations and disease areas.
Work location is flexible across Europe, either at one of our companies’ local offices or home-based. Business travel associated with the role of up to 50%, mainly within Europe.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide expertise and medical input to company-initiated trials by interacting with primary investigators, reviewing medical monitoring data, assisting trial team with query resolution and protocol questions, assisting in site identification and screenings, and delivering disease education using approved resources
- Contribute to the Global Research strategy to accelerate Our Company’s broader Vaccines portfolio through internal candidate development and/or external partnership opportunities
- Identifies, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key investigators, institutions, groups and consortia to identify and address scientific needs and stay abreast of current scientific trends in Vaccines and Infectious diseases
- Conduct peer to peer scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence with Scientific Leaders to ensure they have a medical contact within Our Company
- Engage in proactive non-product discussions regarding Vaccines and Infectious disease related scientific issues to assist Our Company in obtaining feedback on certain scientific topics of interest to inform Our Company’s research activities (e.g. medical practice insights, evidence/data gaps, novel targets and pathways, etc.)
- Provide experienced clinical leadership for cross functional teams and activities
- Serves as a subject matter expert for regional training and activities
- Mentors regional clinical directors
- Provides clinical support and training as needed to local trial teams as needed
- Support data generation activities including provision of Our Company areas of research interest and ISP process to potential investigators and review of proposals
- Represent Our Company’s Research organization at scientific meetings including medical booth support, congresses and symposia's, Our Company advisory and investigator meetings
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) through education efforts, including attendance at relevant conferences, workshops and review of key journals Qualifications:
Education and Minimum Requirements:
Medical degree with solid clinical trial execution experience; clinical trial experience in industry is advantageous. Additionally, relevant experience with medical monitoring systems and familiarity with principles of GCP coped with knowledge of treatment guidelines (e.g. local vaccines recommendations and their scientific basis), vaccination schedules, clinical research processes, EMA regulations) as well as high ethical standards, being a role model of business compliance and integrity.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical environment is preferred
- Pediatrics or clinical infections disease (ID) experience with direct experience in Vaccines or ID clinical trials is preferred
- Proven ability to network and partner with important external customers, including Scientific Leaders, investigators, academic institutions, large group practices
- Demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), ability to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to deliver sensitive and difficult messages with tact, diplomacy, and understanding of the target audience
- Demonstrated skills in developing and maintaining networks that span divisions and geographical boundaries
- Good project management skills and ability to effectively scope, assign tasks, and allocate resources for meeting goals within project budget
- Basic knowledge of local and European regulatory interactions and filings is preferred
- Solid understanding of financial data and business facts and ability to use this data when making decisions
- Demonstrated ability to actively seek opportunities for improving department processes and increasing efficiency
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to identify and integrate patterns, trends and inconsistencies across multiple data sources to determine their broader implications
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 50% of the time is required
- Fluency/full professional proficiency in English (oral/written) is a prerequisite; solid knowledge of at least one additional European language is advantageous We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our company has had a presence in Switzerland since 1963. With a regional office and manufacturing/packaging facility, Lucerne is considered the center of operations. Approximately 1,000 people work collaboratively at the four Lucerne locations (Weystrasse, Citybay, Schachen and Kriens). A fifth location has been recently established in Zurich, aimed at accelerating the development and commercialization of many of our company’s medicines and vaccines, which supports our mission to save and improve lives around the world. The new location has a target date of 2021 for operational readiness.
We are proud to be certified as a “Top Employer Switzerland” and “Top Employer Europe” showing the company’s commitment to our employees and the community around us.
The recently opened new location in Zurich focuses on accelerating research, data and commercialization of our medicines and vaccines. The new office will be staffed by teams working in strategic and operational roles in medical affairs, clinical development, access and marketing operations functions. The new location has a target date of 2021 for operational readiness.
Who we are…
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing for Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
About the company