- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
RFT Data Fabric - Senior Java Developer - 90224009
Primary Location:Czech Republic-CZ-Prague-Prague
Posting Range:25 Feb 2019 - Ongoing
RFT Data Fabric - Senior Java Developer
Czech Republic, Prague
About Risk, Finance and Treasury Technology
The Risk, Finance and Treasury Technology team (RFT) comprises 3500 colleagues situated in the major hubs of United Kingdom, United States, India and Czech Republic. We are accountable for the delivery of technology for Risk, Finance and Treasury Functions globally, working in partnership with our Business customers to develop and implement long term strategic IT solutions. We support more than 450 applications and a user base of 7000+ staff across all business units and major geographic hubs, enabling them to effectively manage capital and liquidity, assess internal and external risk metrics, and meet regulatory reporting requirements.
Data Fabric is the big data platform for the Investment Bank. It comprises the data store and common services to access it. This strategic platform will consolidate risk, trade, markets, sales and other data, and enable the business intelligence and big data analysis for our businesses. It is built upon the Hadoop big data architecture, allowing for the storage and computation of enormous data sets on general purpose, commodity hardware.
The Data Fabric team is responsible for the core development of the platform and its sub-components. The team members are exposed to big scale of technologies and complex software architecture. As part of agile teams, the team is responsible for software architecture design and implementation as well. The key team deliveries are data storing, data pre-processing and building high performing application. The daily work is more than coding, there is a lot of communication with other teams, solving complex issues and challenging solutions.
What will you be doing?
This role is for an Agile developer within the RFT Data Fabric team. As a hands-on developer you will be able to contribute to all stages of the agile delivery process including backlog refinement, planning, development & testing, releases, etc:
• Develop new functionality
• Take ownership of developed items from discussing requirements with users, through build, automated test coverage and into the delivery pipeline to ensure quality is maintained throughout the process
• Maintain existing code base, ensuring existing functionality continues to work and quality is maintained or improved where such opportunities exist
• Own the design, build, documentation and testing of solutions to assigned user stories
• Assist and mentor more junior developers to ensure they are brought up to speed quickly and can become effective members of the team
• Work with users, business analysts and development leads to ensure requirements for stories are well-understood and feasible
• Contribute to the DevOps initiatives of the team by being involved in the delivery pipeline right through the production
What we’re looking for:
• Strong, demonstrable software development experience in Java/OOP.
• Very good and demonstrable skills in either SQL or NoSQL databases.
• Experience on running and debugging Java applications on Linux or UNIX like systems
• Experience on development high available or high-throughput or cloud applications.
• Experience of dealing with stakeholders throughout the lifecycle of stories – i.e. discussing requirements through to signing off testing
• Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a technical, science, engineering, or mathematical discipline
• Excellent communication skills and stakeholder management
• Strong experience with unit testing/test driven development/continuous integration
• Good understanding of source control, testing, release management, and other SW development practices
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Spring Framework – highly desirable, but not essential
• Multithreading – highly desirable, but not essential
• Knowledge of Hadoop/HBase/HDFS – desirable, but not essential
• Knowledge of MongoDB – desirable, but not essential
• ELK Stack - Elastic Search, Kibana, Logstash – desirable, but not essential
• Previous experience in investment banking, or in the financial industry, or
• Knowledge of finance, investment banking, and/or trading
Where will you be working?
About the company
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for 48 million customers and clients worldwide.
We have over 325 years of history and expertise in banking. From our beginnings in Lombard Street, London through to the launch of the world’s first ATM and innovative mobile phone payments services, find out more about our achievements to date.
Barclays is a trading name of Barclays Bank PLC and its subsidiaries. Barclays Bank PLC is registered in England and is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Registered in England. Registered No. 1026167. Registered office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.