- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
BP is looking for Senior Operations Geologist for Exploration Operations and Geology who will be responsible:
Provide visible HSE leadership for delivery of safe and reliable drilling operations.
Prepare Geological Operations Plan, Pre-drill Hole Section Previews including “No Drilling Surprises” (NDS) risks, Data Acquisition, Coring Programs and input to Rig Work Instructions.
Oversee Wellsite Geologists to ensure appropriate level of support at the wellsite, maintain geologic correlations and make operational hole section and well TD decisions.
Ensure close interaction with and effective communication between Wellsite Geologists, Drilling and Subsurface teams.
Track NDS events, participate in root cause analysis of subsurface NPT and ensure that rigorous post well evaluation learnings are captured in Post-Drill Hole Section Reviews, Subsurface End of Well Reports, and shared in subsequent well planning and execution to ensure no repeat of events.
Ensure conformance to BP practices and alignment with the New Well Delivery simplification and standardization agenda.
Contribute to the Supplier performance management process and assessment of key performance indicators.
Coach and mentor less experienced operations geologists and other staff
This will be a fixed-term rotational role with an anticipated contract duration and possible occasional offshore wellsite work.
· Attend well planning, NDS and risk register meetings.
· Prepare Geologic Operations Plan ensuring consistency with Statement of Requirements (SoR).
· Prepare NDS assessments and highlight subsurface risks for each hole section.
· Compile hole section preview documents outlining section objectives, hole section hold points and TD criteria, data acquisition plans, and subsurface risks.
· Identify and document NPT/cost reduction strategies linked to SoR & data acquisition plan.
· Contribute to LWD, Wireline and Coring programmes.
Execution of drilling operations
· Ensure that all wells are drilled in a safe manner, focusing on early identification, mitigation and communication of potential risks for each drilled hole section.
· Ensure that pre-hole section meetings are held with NWD team (NWD SPA, WSG, PPFG Specialist, NDS Champion, DE SPA) highlighting risks and uncertainties in the well plan.
· Complete pre-well checklist with WSG and ensure Wellsite Data Book includes pre-drill NDS risks.
· Provide support for the offshore wellsite geologist: daily and ad hoc calls, up-to-date information and offset data.
· Attend daily rig meetings and maintain communication with DC&I and well planning teams
· Confirm formation tops, casing and core points as per SOR and monitor.
· Consult with PPD SPA when there are indications that actual pore pressure is other than the predicted profile.
· Review well NPT events and confirm they are captured in NDS tab in Wellsite Data Book.
· Ensure lessons learned are fed back into the NDS process by arranging NDS hole section reviews, lead discussions on NDS and NPT related events.
· Conduct or attend pre-job reviews with service providers and liaise with geological contractors’ personnel to provide clear guidance of relevant objectives, data acquisition and reporting requirements.
· Prepare or provide input to post-well NDS, NPT 1 page summaries, potential 5 Why investigations, EOWR’s, and share learnings..
· Ensure all data is finalised (NDS, Composite log) and electronically stored in the appropriate places and hard copy data is distributed as required to SOCAR and other co-venture partners.
· Ensure post well NDS reviews are performed within 2 weeks of TD and the NDS database updated. All SS NPT is captured and root cause analysis of major NPT events is performed and Learning Alerts (NPT one pagers) issued within 3 weeks. Identify NPT reduction strategy linked to SOR and Data Acquisition Plan.
· Attend After Action Reviews with service providers and Liaise with geological contractors’ personnel to provide Quality assurance of all subsurface data and reports and to input and to contractors score cards.
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Geology
Essential experience and job requirements
· Minimum 15 years industry experience in Operations Geology
· Experience in drilling high pressure wells with narrow pore pressure to fracture gradient window
· Experience in Exploration well
About the company
The world has an ever-increasing demand for energy, and BP discovers, develops and delivers oil and gas across the globe. We’re capturing existing sources while enhancing the potential of renewable and alternative energy. How? By making the most of our world-class assets and investing in new technologies. Above all, though, by recruiting, developing and rewarding talented people. People like you.
Specialties: Upstream – Oil & Gas Exploration & Production, Subsurface, Wells Subsea, Mechanical, Electrical, Process, Civil, Drilling,, Completion & Intervention Engineers, Geoscientists, Professionals in Finance, Business Development, Procurement, Communications etc.