- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Google's custom-designed equipment makes up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Manufacturing Operations team is responsible for providing the manufacturing capability to deliver this state-of-the-art physical infrastructure. As a Manufacturing Engineer, you evaluate the product designs and create the processes, tools and procedures behind Google’s powerful search technology. When vendors build parts for our infrastructure, you’re right there alongside ensuring manufacturing processes are repeatable and controlled. You collaborate with Commodity Managers and Design Engineers to determine Google’s infrastructure needs and product specifications. Your work ensures the various pieces of Google’s infrastructure fit together perfectly and keep our systems humming along smoothly for a seamless user experience.
In this role you will collaborate with hardware designers, commodity managers, manufacturing engineers and other teams to set and manage the quality and reliability standards for our HDD products and drive supplier factory and part qualifications on NPI and sustaining programs.
You will drive and execute RMAs (Returned Material Authorization) and failure analyses, establish root causes, and drive corrective actions. You will extract and analyze data from supplier facilities as well as Google production lines and our data centers to verify performance and drive improvements.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Quality Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience as a Component, Quality, Reliability or Product Engineer in Hard Disk Drive HDD commodities used in server and storage data center infrastructure equipment.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Quality Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience as a Component, Quality, Reliability or Product Engineer in Hard Disk Drive HDD commodities used in server and storage data center infrastructure equipment.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Establish the quality and reliability of components throughout the life cycle. Provide consultation to the Design, Manufacturing and Commodity teams in qualification and application of components.
- Analyze bill of materials (BOM) and schematics; propose second sourcing suggestions to engineering and drive qualifications with Contract Manufacturers.
- Drive and track component failures internally and drive root cause and corrective action (RCCA) with supplier.
- Work cross-functionally to define and ensure processes in place to provide the data required to manage quality and reliability. Interface with suppliers on a regular basis to resolve issues and drive return material authorizations, corrective action requests and failure analysis.
- Lead management of product change notices (PCN) and drive appropriate evaluation and qualification with engineering teams.
About the company
Google is not a conventional company, and we don't intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world's most successful organizations - a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind - but even as we continue to grow, we're committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success.
We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate