HOW TO EFFECTIVELY BLOG FOR BUSINESS
Me: “I want to tell you what a blog can do.”
Client: “You mean, other than waste my time?”
Yes. I’ll admit it. Blogging can be a huge time suck. But for those who learn how to effectively blog for business, it is a powerful marketing tool:
- On average, companies with blogs produce 67% more leads per month than those without (Source: Hubspot)
- Marketers who prioritize blogging efforts are 13x more likely to see positive ROI (Source: HubSpot)
- 60% of consumers feel engaged with/positive about a brand or company after reading custom content on their blog (Source: ContentPlus)
- Blogging is responsible for 434% more indexed pages and 97% more indexed links in search engines (Source: DemandMetric)
- 1 in 10 blog posts are “compounding”, meaning that organic search steadily increases their traffic over time (Source: HubSpot)
So what separates those who effectively blog for business from those who don’t?
The answer: Strategy.
A blog is a tactic, not a strategy
Writing a blog is not a marketing strategy. You can blog until the cows come home and still never win a sale because of it.
But when you combine blogging with other marketing tactics–such as social media, pay per click, and email marketing (especially email marketing!)–you begin to realize what blogging is really all about.
This is commonly referred to as building a sales funnel, but I prefer to think of it as laying out a trail of breadcrumbs for your customers to follow.
Before you begin: choose your destination
Before you can blog effectively for your business you need to define your goals. Answering the question “Why am I blogging?” will affect how you blog. So take a moment to consider the purpose of your blog and what it would take to call it a success.