Vision Alone is Not Enough
I founded Search by Burke in 2008 and there are many things I’ve learned about owning a business. One of them is this:
The Vision Is Not Enough
- Just because I can ‘see’ the end result doesn’t mean it will happen.
- Just because I can ‘see’ the positive impact on others, doesn’t mean it will happen.
- Just because I can ‘see’ the team that I will have, doesn’t mean they will be there.
Throughout 2015, because of a live stream platform called Blab (now going on to being an app for young people), I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to hundreds of people from around the world. Their backgrounds have run the gamut from start-up Upcycler (turning trash & waste into useful products) to 30+ year business veteran looking to share the wealth of knowledge. And, many in between.
Some are successful business owners, some are struggling in their personal lives, some are just beginning their business journey, some have been on the road a few years and getting worn down.
Those that are successful today all have something in common:
they had a Vision, backed it with Faith, laid out a Plan and were Persistent in following the plan.
My vision is the carrot, the destination, the reward, the end result. And it’s what keeps me going through ‘tough’ times. If the vision is strong enough, I will find a way around the obstacles. So far, I've managed to find a way around obstacles to this point: unplanned medical issues, deaths of family and friends, failed marketing campaigns, sudden financial losses.
Without the vision of what I want the business to look like, who I want to be, and who I want to be serving, I would have stopped the business many times along the way.
Vision Plus … Will Make You Successful
- Faith: your vision will happen because you believe it will
- Plan of action: if you don’t have a plan in place, begin thinking about the necessity of having a plan and be open-minded enough to see opportunities and people who can help you with creating a plan to make the vision happen.
- Commitment: to do what the plan says to do
- Persistence: to keep going in spite of troubles
- Alliance with a group: meeting regularly with successful people to solve problems, learn new tactics, grow your network
There’s more, of course, but these are the core thoughts and actions myself and of the successful people I’ve surrounded myself with.
If you have a vision but aren’t sure where to begin, let’s talk. As a consultant to solo business owners and micro-business owner, I offer a no-cost 30-minute conversation, at the end of which you can decide if what I have to offer will help you reach your vision. Just book a time using the calendar: Consult With Charlene.
If you have a plan of action but are having difficulties sticking to it, consider joining a Mastermind Group. I facilitate groups and currently have one scheduled to begin meeting in August, 2016. Yes, we meet virtually. The Goals & Accountability Group is a perfect fit for you if you’ve been wondering what a Mastermind Group is all about. The cost is reasonable, the time commitment is 3 months, the group is facilitated the same way the Grow Your Business Group is – and you meet business owners who are focused on getting things done, while these same business owners want to help you focus on getting things done. The August, 2016 group has a few seats available – learn more about both groups and contact me via the Registration Page - let's have a conversation: Mastermind Groups for Solo Business Owners.
In the meantime, I'd love to know your thoughts and experiences about Vision...did I miss anything?