Esteban Camilo Valbuena Balaguera - What does an electrical engineer do?
Esteban Camilo Valbuena Balaguera For all those people who are not familiar with the world of engineering, the words electrical engineer evoke the image of a worker surrounded by cables and plans with electrical installations.
However, this branch of knowledge has a much broader field of work. In fact, it is one of the engineering subdisciplines with the most historical travel. By way of definition, we could say that electrical engineering is responsible for electricity generation, transmission and distribution systems.
But what tasks do these professionals perform in their day to day? As we have already pointed out, it should be stressed that it is a multidisciplinary work, so that reality goes well beyond a conventional dictionary definition. Anyway, it is convenient not to confuse electrical engineering with electronic engineering.
Unlike electrical engineering, electronic engineering is responsible for the development and study of circuits that are governed by much lower voltages. Interesting? Well then we tell you more.
What are the tasks of an electrical engineer?
The tasks of an electrical engineer may vary depending on the job. These are some of the most prominent:
* Coordinate all stages of an electrical system. That is, to study the possible modifications from an economic, social and optimal operating point of view.
* Control power generation and utilization equipment. For example, large generating machines and power transformers.
* Design, build and maintain distribution networks.
* Project and direct the installation, operation, conservation and repair of electrical systems, motors and equipment.
* Perform the analysis, design, simulation and control of electrical systems with the assistance of computers.
* Design and apply tests to electrical materials and equipment.
Esteban Camilo Valbuena Balaguera -What job opportunities does an electrical engineer have?
Everything related to the transmission of electrical signals is part of the field of work of an electrical engineer. For example, provide energy for a house or transmit a signal by mobile phone. However, beyond specific cases, there are some areas where electrical engineers often intervene very often:
* Automation. They are responsible for defining the type of hardware. In addition, they project the logical operation of the system with the aim of eliminating repetitive tasks.
* Construction Industry. Just as plans are needed to establish the structure of a building, these schemes are also essential to carry out an electrical installation. In this sense, it is essential to take into account safety standards in the world of construction.
* Telecommunications. In this case, they are responsible for designing data or image transmission systems.