Burn Your Résumé for beBee or LinkedIn? Not so Fast...
Some say you should swap résumés for online profiles. I disagree. I wish it were that easy!
We have no control over what companies need from applicants. Most still have Applicant Tracking Systems, which need content that only a "Black Hole" understands.
Worse, we cannot spend an hour on each application, only to have it last 6 seconds before an HR person throws it away. So what CAN we do?!
Steve Blakeman made a compelling case for dropping traditional résumés for online profiles instead. Let's clarify the purpose of both and how you can increase your "résumé presence".
The first step to getting a job is an awesome profile that has enough key search terms, but also gets people interested. It says, "Hey! Look at the STORY of all I have done!" It is not meant to have all résumé content but should get them wanting to see it. It should be mainly in the first person, telling your story that they can relate to. Focus on the compelling reasons they should look into YOU - how you stand out. (The cover letter used to serve this purpose, but nobody looks at those anymore.)
In short, your résumé should list your relevant achievements and top skills as "WHAT I can do for YOU". Still not HOW. (That comes in the interview!) Oh, and please avoid fluffy subjective statements, like "Highly qualified", "Results focused" and "Successfully"!
Timing is Everything
Research proved we only have 6 seconds to show our value...
This is important. Whether it is a paper résumé or online profile, I suggest the 6 seconds holds true.
Based on this research and being an interviewer myself, first impressions are critical. It comes down to the first key things people read about you.
Your Call to Action
Both LinkedIn and beBee offer profiles for professionals, but are different. Let's take a look.
- On LinkedIn, the first thing interested people see about you is your Headline. Per Andy Foote, you have 120 characters for that. PLUS, people see it by hovering over your name anywhere on the platform! Awesome.
- On beBee, it defaults to a reverse of the first 2 lines of your top (most recent) job in the Experience section. You only see it by searching all Bees or going to a Bee's profile. So, it simply shows twice on the profile page. No hovering. No customization of even 1 character. :(
Time to Shine
Then you get to the meat of it all. Your chance to shine, once you grabbed their attention.
- LinkedIn gives you 2,000 characters for the Summary. 2,000 sticky, sweet and golden characters to tell YOUR story!
- beBee only has a top "Quote" of 290 characters. Short and better-be-sweet / bittersweet.
Tell Your Story and Stories
- The ironic thing about LinkedIn is that once you create a full profile, you may still be hardly noticed! You need to get your profile right with a S.T.A.R. Story to get noticed. For stories (posts), it is much harder to get noticed nowadays. Of course, it is still possible. In short, you need great content, concise formatting and active engagement. Think cell phones and short attention spans!
- On beBee, you have better views, a thirst for content and your engagement is better. You can make tons of honey (stories) on beBee. Yet THE story, YOUR story could be a lot better on beBee. Come on, beBee!!
- You want people to know your “value statement” as soon as possible online. On LinkedIn your Headline and Summary can be buzzing, but on beBee it stings.
- Once you catch the reader’s attention, you need to get them to keep reading. LinkedIn gives ample room for you to tell your story. beBee makes it a struggle.
- If you want a job, you better have an All Star LinkedIn profile. If you want engagement, buzz over to beBee. Once you sting ‘em, better have a link to your LinkedIn profile ;)
Did This Add Value for You?
I really appreciate that you are reading this. If you enjoyed it, please like, comment or share! If you would like to read my future buzz, please follow me!
- My blog articles
- My buzz (shares)
- My complete list of career buzz
- My complete list of productivity buzz
Photo credit: Steve's post
Want more help?
I have been in business and IT for over 25 years. I can help you find your business value, get more traction on LinkedIn and take charge of your career.
Proof? I got my last job from a simple tweak to my LinkedIn profile.
Let me know if I can help you with your Résumé or LinkedIn at firstname.lastname@example.org #TTCS - Techie Teammate Career Services