Burn Your Résumé for beBee or LinkedIn? Not so Fast...
Steve Blakeman wrote a great post on this topic. He made a compelling case for companies dropping traditional resumes for online profiles instead. I wish it were that easy!
The problem is, we have no control over what companies do or require. (Nor can we be ensured they will read this post ;)
Most still have "Black Hole" Applicant Tracking Systems that it seems require content that only the "Black Hole" can understand.
My post explains the current state of profiles on LinkedIn and beBee - and what you can do to increase your "resume presence".
First Things First
Research proved we only have 6 seconds to show our value...
This is vitally important. Whether it is a paper resume or online profile, I suggest the 6 seconds holds true.
Based on this research and being an interviewer myself, first impressions are critical. Likewise, before you can even get your foot in the door, online profiles come down to the first few things readers see about you.
I will make direct comparisons of LinkedIn and beBee…
Your Call to Action
- On LinkedIn the first thing interested people see about you is your Headline. Per the last picture/link, you have 120 characters for that. PLUS, people see it by hovering over your name anywhere on the platform! Awesome.
- On beBee it defaults to a reverse of the first 2 lines of your top (most recent) job in the Experience section. You only see it by searching all Bees or going to a Bee's profile. So, it is merely something that shows twice on the profile page. No hovering. No customization of even 1 character. :(
Time to Shine
Then you get to the meat of it all. Your chance to shine, once you hopefully grabbed their attention.
- LinkedIn gives you 2,000 characters for the Summary. 2,000 sticky, sweet and golden characters (hmmm, sounds like honey!) to tell YOUR story! (See the link in the next section for more information.)
- beBee only has a top "Quote" of 292 characters. Short and better-be-sweet / bittersweet.
Tell Your Story/Stories
- The ironic thing about LinkedIn is that once you can do all this – if you even do it at all – and you start engaging on the platform, you are hardly noticed! So you had better at least get your profile right on LinkedIn! I think of this as your story (not stories), as getting noticed for your posts is much harder than it was years ago.
- Yet, with beBee, you have much better views, other bees quickly ascertain what your buzz is all about, and your engagement is better! You can write many stories on beBee (not just a story). (See many posts, like https://www.bebee.com/producer/@jaredwiese/bebee-better-than-linkedin-i-proved-it.)
Now, let's make THE story, YOUR story better on beBee! Come on, beBee!!
What's the big deal?
1) You want people to know you and your “value statement” (Headline, Quote) as soon as possible online. On LinkedIn it is buzzing, but on beBee it stings.
2) Once you catch the reader’s attention, you need to get them to keep reading. LinkedIn gives ample room for you to tell your story. beBee makes it a struggle.
3) If you want a job, you better have an All Star LinkedIn profile. If you want engagement, buzz over to beBee. Once you sting ‘em, better have a link to your LinkedIn profile ;)
4) See https://www.bebee.com/producer/@jaredwiese/why-and-how-to-be-a-stand-out-on-linkedin for more information on profiles and its impacts.
Like what you see?
My Other Career Articles
- https://www.bebee.com/producer/@jaredwiese/career-tips-and-links-an-updating-reference (an ongoing blog, so to speak)
Did This Add Value for You?
I really appreciate that you are reading this. If you enjoyed it, please tag as Relevant, comment or Share! If you would like to read my future honey/buzz, please Follow me!
- My honey (articles): https://www.bebee.com/@jaredwiese
- My buzz (shares): https://www.bebee.com/bee/jaredwiese?t=posts
Want Help Remembering Great Web Sites?
Photo credit: Steve's post, https://www.bebee.com/producer/@steve-blakeman/burn-your-resume-linkedin-has-made-it-obsolete.
I have been in business and IT for over 25 years. I can help you find your business value, get more traction on LinkedIn and land more interviews.
Proof? I got my last job from a simple tweak to my LinkedIn profile. Please let me know if I can help you with your Résumé or LinkedIn! Email me for more information: jaredjwiese @ gmail.com. #TTCS