Javier 🐝 CR in SMM - Social Media Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Social Media Co-Founder & CEO • beBee Jul 31, 2018 · 1 min read · 9.2K

1-99 rule

1-99 rule


After reading the 80/20 Rule article (Preston 🐝 Vander Ven), this came to my mind... what is happening to all social media networks?. 

The use of social media to support marketing has increased in recent times.  How can we use this to develop our business?

Is the 80/20 rule applicable to social networks, forums and other platforms? Is the 90-9-1 Rule the new Pareto Principle for the web and other online environments?

In Internet culture, the 1-99 rule - the 1% rule - is a rule of thumb pertaining to participation in an internet community, stating that only 1% of the users of a website actively create new content, while the other 99% of the participants only lurk. This happens to all social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn or beBee.

Variants include the 1-9-90 rule (sometimes 90–9–1 principle or the 89:10:1 ratio), which states that in a collaborative platform such as beBee , 90% of the participants of a community only view content, 9% of the participants edit content, and 1% of the participants actively create new content. This is totally true.

A point of view

The 90-9-1 rule is:

  • 90% of users are lurkers or quiet participants (they read or observe, but they don’t contribute)
  • 9% of users contribute from time to time, but other priorities dominate their time (partially engaged)
  • 1% of users participate a lot and account for most contributions (they are fully engaged): it can seem as if they don’t have lives because they often post just minutes after whatever event they’re commenting on occurs. They are intense contributors of content. They are "the honey on beBee". This is a tribute to all of them. Many thanks.

    beBee wouldn't exist without your contributions.

The terms "lurk"  or "lurking" or "lurkers", in reference to online activity, are used to refer to online observation without engaging others in the community.  

An optimistic point of view

Rather than seeing the lack of active contribution as a problem, it is far more helpful to view participation behaviour as a reflection of the variety of skills and strengths of the participants.

Instead of seeing the 90% as “Lurkers”, I prefer to view them as a type of participant. A participant who is primarily an audience that uses and applies the content presented.

The 90-9-1 rule is:

  • 1% are creators (honey producers)
  • 9% are editors or critics (producers and commenters)
  • 90% are the audience (but like to believe they can contribute if they chose to)




I LOVE THE beBee COMMUNITY

0
Preston 🐝 Vander Ven Mar 14, 2019 · #92

#91 I was agreeing with you. But, I did notice a typo with my first sentence. I meant to write Action. My comment had nothing to do with you. I was sharing how I love beBee. I have learned so much from these buzzes and had a lot of great constructive wisdom and suggestions from of other bees of authors and books to read. I have never found such a great place before.

0
Timothy welch Mar 12, 2019 · #91

#90 Im not angry Preston im just quoting facts. i just think its funny i always see the same people over and over again. the idea sharing i agree with you 100% but sometimes the piece just runs its course. sometimes arguments arise because emotions are thrown into the mix

0
Preston 🐝 Vander Ven Mar 12, 2019 · #90

#87 Our inaction is what "Stirs the Honey Pot" for new bees. I think it is fun not to just commenting on the buzz, yet buzzing with others whom have posted. Other platforms when I see people trying to do this, I notice it turns into angry arguments instead of a community sharing ideas and information while having fun.

+1 +1
Timothy welch Mar 12, 2019 · #89

#88 good deal Bill. so true

+1 +1

#87 I,m at work @Timothy welch, sharing with APICS, WERC, CSCMP, and IWLA, about 75 contacts... Milos comments as a Dr are times x 10,000 ;~))

+2 +2
Timothy welch Mar 11, 2019 · #87

apparently this piece or honey made the rounds again. lets do some quick statistics after compiling some data just from this comment section. 31 people added something to the dialogue. 21 people only commented once but perhaps that was sufficient.Milos commented twice but he is also on linkedin. claire , lada and Preston made 3 comments. Bill chimed in with 4 comments. Louise come in strong with 6 comments. Ali went for a record 12 times and of course Javier being the funder has to make sure he thanks everyone has the record at 31 comments or thank yous. But as a side note; this is not even 1% of the Bebee community but probably 1% of 1 % because people are probably at work, or going to the bathroom or if we really lucky they are engaged someplace else on the internet.

+3 +3