9 Ways to Live a More Authentic Life
Authenticity is to be true to one’s personality and character. It means you’re willing to show the world who you really are. You’re willing to live the life that you were meant to live. Authenticity is the ability to show your uniqueness to the world.
There are very few authentic people in the world, but you know them when you see them.
We’re naturally drawn to authentic people. We feel comfortable with those that are willing to be themselves.
Use these strategies to live a more authentic life and show the world the real you:
1. Know your values. What’s important to you?
Make a list of every quality you think is important for a person to have. Now,
put that list in order. What are your five top values? When you know your
values, the authentic choice in any situation is more obvious than when you
don’t know your values.
2. Stop doing things you don’t want to do. You
still need to pay your bills and take out the trash. However, you don’t have to
play on the church softball team, drive your neighbor to the airport, or take
care of your cousin’s cat. If something
is too disagreeable for you, just say, “No.”
3. Do what you want to do. You can spend your time how you please. You don’t need a grand excuse or proof that you’re doing something noble on a cosmic level. The fact that you want to do it is a good enough reason.
4. Keep an open mind. When your thinking is very
rigid, you limit yourself and prevent your true self from shining through. Preconceived notions are prisons that block
you from being authentic. Learn how to experience the world from a variety
of perspectives and an open mind.
5. Trust your intuition. When you ignore your
hunches, you feel out-of-sorts. Trust your instincts. They’ll let you know when
you’re not being genuine.