Ten Interview Questions for Customer Success Manager (CSM)
This blog was originally published here.
Here are the top ten interviews questions you can ask Customer Success Manager candidates before your hire them.
- Check Customer Success understanding: What is Customer Success and why is it needed? What will happen if we abolish the customer success department? And what will happen if we have a great customer success team?
- Check Empathy: Customer is about to cancel the contract because he is not able to do a task, which actually is indeed possible to do via the software. What should we do? Who or what is at fault here? Product, Training, Support, Customer Success or Customer?
- Check Domain knowledge: If you could only measure one thing to check if the customer was getting the value using the product, what will that be?
- Check ability to create a strategy: What will be your strategy to manage a mix of accounts varying from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual recurring revenue (ARR).
- Check Time Management: How will you manage your day, week and month to Onboard new customers, retain existing customers, and grow the portfolio and drive advocacy?
- Check comfort with Data: In a portfolio of 200 accounts, how will you know which customer is about to leave and which ones are going to grow?
- Check comfort to shuffle tasks: If you have a day packed with pre-planned Onboarding meetings, how will you handle an escalation from your key customer?
- Check the Sales inclination: If a new major feature is released, how will you work with it?
- Check is they are a Team player: Give me an example from your past experience where you helped out another colleague.
- Put them in a real Scenario: Competition has just released a new feature which we do not have yet, and customers are asking for it. What do you do?