I'll Just Call Your Competition
How many leads did your team turn away this month from lack of phone skills? If you have worked in phone sales for any amount of time, you have heard phrases like, “smile and dial”, or, “they can hear you smiling over the phone…they can also hear a frown.” As old school as it sounds, both are still true. I have listened to communication in different industries from a managerial or consultants perspective for just about 15 years and like most managers and business owners, I will say that I have to agree with both statements.
Walk in Their Shoes
Let’s take our company and our team out of the equation for a moment and let’s put on our consumer hat.
- Have you ever called an establishment to hear, “Hello” and then crickets? Did I call the right place? Am I now qualifying the business that I called?
- Have you ever called looking for a service and feel that you have completely annoyed whoever answered the phone? Did I take you away from something more important? Should I apologize?
My favorite is the “yeah” call. The one where you may have done just enough research to be dangerous, but still need some confirmation that you are on the right track before you commit to driving into a location or setting an appointment, and all you hear from the other end of the phone is…”Yeah.”
- “Do you guys have this type of tire in stock?”…“Yeah”
- “Are you still located at 1234 West Glenn?”…”Yeah”
- “Do you have appointments available for