Hyperion & Theia - Call for Submissions
Hyperion and Theia seeks to publish quality fiction, poetry, and art that shines above all else. H&T wants stories and poems that strive towards excellence and beauty. Works that are brilliant, diverse, and dazzling are well received here.
December 1st, 2016 – January 31st, 2017 11:59 EST
Anything submitted outside of this window will be deleted unread. Artists and photographers can submit year round.
Year One: Saturnalia 
ISBN-13: Coming Soon
ISBN-10: Coming Soon
the ancient Roman festival of Saturn in December, which was a period of general merrymaking and was the predecessor of Christmas.
an occasion of wild revelry.
noun: saturnalia; plural noun: saturnalias
A time of revelry and reversal, Saturnalia represents the breakdown of what has been deemed the natural order. Hyperion and Theia’s inaugural volume wants stories and poetry that runs the gamut of genres and turns expectations on their heads. Submit a fantastical murder-mystery set in the biggest carnival in Atlantis. Wow us with a sweeping romance in space where gods and goddesses serve their creations after a bloody war. Deadline January 31st, 2017 11:59 EST.
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR ART & PHOTOGRAPHY
- Non-exclusive electronic and print reprint rights
- Ability to use the art for promotional purposes
- The option to archive the work online with links to the photographer’s and artist’s galleries
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR FICTION & POETRY
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 8 months from the date of publication
- Non-exclusive archival rights as long as the website(s) hosting the work are online
- If your story is selected to be podcast and approved in the future, or an audiobook is produced, payment is $0.01USD per word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
Please query if anything listed is of concern. Here is a good explanation of what this entails.
LENGTH & GUIDELINES
COVER ART: To be used in the electronic and print editions, can be art or photography, and is usually solicited.
ARTWORK: Usually solicited. Payment dependent on the artist.
POETRY: Up to 100 lines. Paid $0.25USD a line.
MICRO FICTION: Drabbles are strictly 100 words. Titles should be no longer than 3 words. Paid $0.06USD per word.
FLASH FICTION: 500 to 1000 words. Paid $0.02USD per word.
SHORT STORIES: 1001 to 7,499 words. Paid $0.02USD per word under 2,500 words. Paid $0.01USD per word over 2,500 words.
NOVELETTE: 7,500 to 17,499 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
NOVELLA: 17,500 to 40,000 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
SPOTLIGHT SHORT STORY: 1001 to 1500 words. One story involving two crowns (real or figurative, masculine and feminine, or something else altogether) as a central element alongside the main theme of the year. Paid $0.03USD or $0.04USD per word.
- Poorly formatted and edited work
- Overtly racist, sexist, violent, etc. works without adding value overall
- Works above the word counts and/or untitled (especially for short stories, novelettes, and novellas)
- Fanfiction of any kind
- Excerpts out of a novel
- Taboo elements (rape in all forms, incest, pedophilia, etc.) in almost all cases
- Pushing the boundaries of genre and form
- People of Color, disabled people, women, LGBTQIA, and other marginalized groups at the forefront
- Dieselpunk, Solarpunk, Weird Westerns, Cyberpunk, Magic Realism, Gothic Horror, Retrofuturism, Afrofuturism, Wuxia, Romantic Suspense, Historical, Capers, Gothic Romance, Neo-/Noir, and lesser known sub-genres
- Through HeyPublisher (coming soon)
- Through Green Submissions (coming soon)
- Via email (preferred): subs [at] hyperionandtheia.com
- The subject line for art and photography should read HTSUBMISSION(Art) or HTSUBMISSION(Photos)
- The subject line should read HTSUBMISSION: CATEGORY : TITLE (WORD or LINE COUNT) ex). HTSUBMISSION: SHORT STORIES: Super Story (1001)
- A short cover letter is required. Please include your legal name, pen name (if relevant), contact information, recent publications/awards (if any), and a bio of 50-150 words. A photo of you is required
- Submissions should be attached in the email as a .rtf, .doc or .docx
- Artists and photographers should send a link to their online gallery as well and/or the piece as a .PNG or .JPEG
- Shunn’s manuscript style for fiction and poetry is required (double-spaced, 12 pt standard font, page numbers, etc.)
- Reprints encouraged!
- Translations into English are welcome
- Only one submission in the same category allowed for fiction. I will be more lenient with shorter poetry
- Simultaneous submissions to other markets are accepted! Alert H&T immediately should your work be accepted somewhere else (congrats in advance!)
Currently around a month after submitting. Do not query before then. I do not send out notification that the piece has been received, only when it is accepted or rejected. I will try to answer all submissions with an acceptance or rejection letter.
Any personal information collected (including but not limited to your name, address, email, social media links, and pen name) is held in strict confidence and not shared with anyone else unless compelled by law or in the event threats are leveled against the staff.
If a third party contacts H&T interested in an author’s or artist’s work, the author/artist will be contacted first to ask permission to share details.
By sending us your work you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator and copyright holder of the work submitted;
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of exclusive electronic & print rights in English, first world translation rights into English, reprint rights, and/or non-exclusive audio rights to the work;
- All information submitted is accurate and truthful; and
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements upon rights not disclosed.
If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian will sign your contract and accept your payment on your behalf. Finally, if accepted here and then republished, you are required to add the volume you were published in.
TRACK YOUR SUBMISSION
LAST UPDATED: November 17, 2016