Wild Musette - Accepting Submissions
The Wild Musette Journal of Music, Mystery and Myth is a literary magazine focused on traditional music and dance, fantasy, imaginative stories, and inspired poetry. The journal is published twice per year in the spring and fall and is distributed in print and ebook formats, as well as being available as a free online blog subscription.
The inaugural issue will appear in 2017.
What We Publish
The journal is currently focused on the following themes:
- Music and dance. We are especially focused on traditional music of Celtic origins, but will consider all types of work with music and dance themes. This can include stories or poems where music and dance is central to the work or just an element.
- Fantasy and mythic fiction. We try to avoid high fantasy tropes but love character-driven stories in fantastical places, magical realism, and urban fantasy.
- Environmental and earth-centered concerns. Inspired themes about the natural world are of interest, as well as humanity’s uneasy place in it.
- Consequential Relationships. We are interested in stories in which people’s choices have serious consequences for them and those around them. Sex and language are acceptable but should serve the story.
Inspired storytelling is the driving force behind the fiction we publish. Take our readers on a journey. We are looking for fiction between 1000-7500 words in length. Anything less than 1000 words we consider flash fiction and we group that with poetry.
Poems should be accessible and hit you in the gut with truth and image. Don’t be afraid of humor. Our readers want to be inspired and offered a unique view. Your use of form and classical allusion won’t impress us. Poems over one page in length are unlikely to be well-received unless they are especially focused on the Journal’s current themes.
Essays that address the journal’s themes are of interest, as are explorations of traditional music and dance. We consider substantive interviews with artists, musicians, and choreographers. We will consider scholarly works that inform readers and have been adapted with an emphasis on the telling of the story.
We are looking for evocative images for our cover. These can be paintings, drawings, or photography that speak to the Journal’s themes. This is a great opportunity to showcase an existing piece of artwork. Cover art should be in high quality JPEG format and at least 2700×1800 pixels.
Payment & Rights
Wild Musette pays semi-professional rates as follows:
- Fiction & Non-Fiction: $50
- Poetry & Flash Fiction: $15
- Cover Art: $100
Wild Musette buys first print and ebook rights and electronic archive rights. We do not buy previously published work. A rights contract will be mailed to you if your work is accepted.more here...