The Socially Savvy Digital Citizen
Inherent in being a good digital citizen is acting ethically in digital interactions and having a healthy and safe experience.
Digital Citizen & Citizenship Definitions
- A person who develops the skills and knowledge to effectively use the Internet and other digital technology, especially in order to participate responsibly in social and civic activities (Dictionary.com).
- A digital citizen refers to a person utilizing information technology (IT) in order to engage in society, politics, and government participation. In qualifying as a digital citizen, a person generally must have extensive skills and knowledge in using the Internet through computers, mobile phones, and web-ready devices to interact with private and public organizations (Wikipedia).
- Digital citizenship is the norms of appropriate, responsible technology use. Too often we are seeing students as well as adults misusing and abusing technology but not sure what to do. The issue is more than what the users do not know but what is considered appropriate technology usage (Digital Citizenship).
Source: Digital Citizenship
Respect Yourself/Respect Others
1. Etiquette: electronic standards of conduct or procedure.
2. Access: full electronic participation in society.
3. Law: electronic responsibility for actions and deeds.
Educate Yourself/Connect with Others
4. Literacy: process of teaching and learning about technology and the use of technology.
5. Communication: electronic exchange of information.
6. Commerce: electronic buying and selling of goods.