Renee Iseli - Smits en beBee in English, Social Work, Healthcare Author of "Ik ben slechthorend, nou en?" • Writer Hace 7 d · 1 min de lectura · +700



Dear readers, as you may probably already have noticed, I was "off line" for a few weeks. The reason for this was a visit to the hospital and subsequent rest.

For about six years ago, I have been diagnosed with arthrosis in the hips. Last year, the pain in the left hip became more severe. During a visit to the hip surgeon earlier this year, it became clear that the left hip was broken, and a new hip became necessary. Since I wanted to get this behind me as soon as possible, the corresponding operation was scheduled for the end of February.

Of course I prepared everything as well as possible in advance and also thought about how I could best approach the operation and hospital stay as a hearing impaired person and hearing aid user.

During the preliminary examination I clearly mentioned that I wanted to wear my hearing aids until the last moment, and that I definitely needed them again when I woke up. A tip from a good friend of mine I put into practice and worked wonderfully. I had a small box with my name and date of birth on it, in which the hearing aids could be stored, during the operation and overnight.

As hoped, the hearing aids were taken off when the anaesthetic was applied and I had the hearing aids in my ears again when I woke up. The first night after the surgery I had a lot of pain and I was sick a lot, so I kept my hearing aids on at night so I could communicate more easily if I needed help. Then I took off my hearing aids at night and put them back on when I needed them. And I have to say: there were no communication problems at all! Only because of the anaesthesia I was a little less concentrated at the beginning, and I had to try a little harder to listen, but to my great joy everything worked out wonderfully! No one in hospital made a problem of my hearing impairment at all  and also all other praise for the hospital and its wonderful care!

Tomorrow the operation has been exactly 3 weeks ago and if I can analyse it now, then I am extremely satisfied! My recovery is very good and fast: on the 4th day after the operation I was already allowed to go home and today I can walk quite well in the apartment without crutches and outside with crutches I can go further and better on daily basis.

Also my worries that the anaesthesia could have an effect on my already bad hearing, fortunately did not come true. And since I didn't need antibiotics either, which could also have a harmful effect on my hearing, my hearing has not deteriorated to my great relief.

Next week I start with physiotherapy and in about 2 months I hope to be able to move again painlessly and well!

Until then I will report again regularly, although a little less than accustomed, because I am not allowed to sit with my legs on a chair for so long.

Renee Iseli - Smits Hace 5 d · #10

🤣😎 I was thinking of running the local marathon this weekend 😁😉, but it might be a tad too soon 😁😁

Renee Iseli - Smits Hace 5 d · #9

Thank you! Indeed, it was a total hipreplacement. Getting better day by day 😊

Renee Iseli - Smits Hace 5 d · #8

Thank you 😊!

Renee Iseli - Smits Hace 5 d · #7

Thank you!

Lada 🏡 Prkic Hace 6 d · #6

I wish you a speedy recovery, Renee.

+1 +1
Ken Boddie Hace 7 d · #5

Glad to hear you’re on the mend, Renee, and that all went well. I assume they must have removed the left hip, in which case I’m sure you’ll be ‘all right’ now. 😊

+1 +1
Paul Walters Hace 7 d · #4

@Renee Iseli - Smits So I take it we won't see you at tennis on Sunday? Get well soon!

+2 +2

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Renee.

+1 +1