Sandra  Veith en home improvement 12/3/2018 · 3 min de lectura · ~100

Can household mould affect your health negatively?

Can household mould affect your health negatively?

Mould and damp are common issues that most people encounter in their homes. Usually, persons who live in such environment and do not take the right measurements to get rid of it will face tremendous consequences. At first, it may seem like mould is not as dangerous as people say, but once you’ll suffer from diverse respiratory affections or struggle with breathing the air in your house you’re going to understand the risks and the necessity of getting rid of it. Keep in mind that mould is not only unpleasant to see, but also very unfavorable to health. In order to lead a comfortable life, a person has to breath fresh, healthy air.

Otherwise, allergies and other affections would be happier than ever living inside your body. Identifying and getting rid of the cause that’s responsible for mould apparition is a must to change the way you live. Maybe you want to sell a property and it is infested with mould. What do you do then? You are required by law to inform a potential buyer that the house is full of mould since it can raise medical issues. The moment they will hear about this problem, the owners will immediately rethink their option. You will eventually have to lower the price so much that the value of the house is almost worthless. Such an initially small inconvenience can turn into a big problem if left undealt with.

Health Issues That Occur When Mould Is Present

Many people believe that mould cannot be the main cause of certain medical affections. The truth is that mould can trigger various types of allergies and different respiratory diseases. Mould spores represent a kind of microorganisms (part of the mushroom family) which are responsible for the decompose of organic materials in nature (rotting plants, wood etc.). Mould spores are not initially visible to the eye, but when they receive enough nutrients from the environment and come in contact with moisture or damp, they develop into the shape of mould as you know it – grey and unpleasant. Mould can be fed with any material that’s made of wood, with paints and adhesives (reason why you’ll notice mould on walls mostly).

A damp environment is the perfect opportunity for mould to develop. A slightly above-average humidity inside your house will favor the apparition of mould. People are exposed to mould spores in the outside environment, but when inhaling them daily inside the house, the risks of catching a disease are tremendously increased. Mould spores can also reach inside a house through open windows, doors and heating/ventilation systems. They can be transported by pets or even on clothes and shoes. Once inside the house, spores will multiply under damp conditions. The most common hosts of mould are the bathroom and the kitchen, but if water infiltrates through the ceiling or walls, mould can multiply right on the spot. Materials like cellulose, ceiling tiles, carpets or upholstery can also influence the apparition of mould inside a house.

Mould itself is neither toxic nor poisonous. However, certain types of mould can produce mycotoxins that, once inhaled, cause allergic reactions and chronic respiratory diseases. The most common signs of an allergic reaction include rashes, sneezing, runny nose, coughing, red eyes, irritations etc. If a person is allergic to mould spores, they can cause asthma or even seizures. It is highly important to run an