Art of Management : Managing People
Tip 3: Take the lead!
Leadership is a quality that is the backbone of People Management skills. An ability to lead well is an asset to any organisation. To be able to take the lead and lead well there must a deeper understanding of people and their needs besides being a quick thinker and a whole lot of self-confidence. A positive inclination, an assertive approach, determination with a focused attitude to life can be a tool for a successful stint at sustained leadership.
A few salient people management skills worth imbibing
- Accepting responsibility
- Acknowledging abilities and talents
- Assertiveness in taking action and decision
- Sharing empathy
- Resilience with an ability to own up and move on
- Personal integrity &character
- Having humility & sincerity
- Respecting teamwork and inculcating team-spirit
- Body confidence & good health
- Poise and better postural alignment.
- Clarity of vision and communication
- Accepting vulnerability
- Being open to education
- Curiosity to understand & evolve for the better
- Critical thinking ability & foresight
- Adaptability to changes
- Most of all consistent drive and enthusiasm!
Personally speaking as a ballroom dance educator and trainer ... while teaching and sharing social dancing skills one of the important learning we can work on is the understanding of the art of leading and following. Both very significant for any kind of partner dancing as much as in life itself. After all, life is a dance and dance imitates life!
The art of leadership is thus also understood best in the ability to follow which can put to test the clarity of signals given by the leader. In learning to emulate one can set an example by practising than preaching and gain personal insights on a more evolved lead ability.
For to lead is an opportunity to honor the trust of the follower ..