How to Build a Career in Data Science and Big Data Analytics - Tips, Resources, and Career Advice
Top 6 Ways to Make a Career in Data Science and Big Data Analytics
1. Choose the Right Education BackgroundIn order to become a data scientist, you don’t necessarily need to pursue Bachelors in Data Science. In fact, that’s not recommended at all. It’s actually a bad idea to go for such a niche discipline at the undergraduate level. You could certainly go for a Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Finance, or Natural Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, or Biology). Even Liberal Arts (including Social Sciences) could be very handy as well at the undergraduate level.
“A data scientist is a better statistician and economist than most programmers, a better programmer and economist than most statisticians, and a better statistician and programmer than most economists.”
2. Acquire Strong Technical Skills
· Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
· Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Python, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc
· Experience with data visualiza