- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- ENGLAND GB
Why this role matters
Security is the fastest-growing part of our business. In a world where the bad guys are getting smarter and cyber-attacks are on the rise, it’s more important than ever that our security teams bring their A-game.
By joining us as a Network Engineer, you’ll be able to help us change the world for the better.
You’ll be developing and supporting secure applications and systems to combat cyber-crime and threats to the UK’s Critical National Infrastructure for both BT and our customers.
What you'll be doing
Joining a team of world class engineers, you’ll be working on a huge range of Network Engineering projects.
We are looking for individuals who can leverage their extensive technical experience and academic studies to meet our rigorous and challenging delivery objectives and standards. We need you to be able to solve complex security problems and apply industry best practice in all aspects of software engineering, systems engineering or cyber-security and have a detailed working knowledge of development methodologies, including Agile and Lean.
While the role is predominantly focused on the design and implementation of networks solutions, there will also be an opportunity to deploy in-depth diagnostic skills in the resolution of complex third line support issues.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing ICT advice and/or professional services to both internal and external clients.
- Providing support on projects, carrying out elements of the research, analysis and/or delivery.
- Providing operational support ensuring KPIs and SLA are achieved.
Leading on the delivery of specific components of a project.
- Drafting reports and discuss recommendations based on research with their manager.
- Share expertise with peers.
- Occasionally provides on the job training to other team members.
Supporting the development and implementation of unit policies and procedures.
- May involve liaising with internal, external and third party suppliers.
Input to cost/timescales solutions/options and manage expectations as appropriate with customer or business unit/LoB teams.
- To personally participate in and contribute to BT wide professional community activities where applicable e.g. knowledge sharing, best practice within BT and external industry.
- To use the relevant BT wide professional community framework to raise their skills and those of their team to the recommended PC standards.
You will need to demonstrate experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Experience in designing, building and providing third-line support for complex IP or IP/MPLS networks, that are secure, scalable, resilient and give high performance.
- Experience in the creation of both high level and low level design.
Knowledge of network design for security, including firewall, IDS and IPS experience.
- Experience configuring secure protocols such as IPsec, SSH and SNMPv3.
- Experience with and knowledge of enterprise- and operator-scale routing design using protocols such as OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, LDP or RSVP and technologies such as MPLS VPNs and QoS.
- LAN switching design expertise in small- and medium-scale data centre and enterprise environments, including RSTP/MSTP, LAG, MC-LAG or SPB and first-hop resilience and security protocols.
- Understanding of SDN concepts and experience in implementing SDN based solutions.
- Hands on experience with specific vendors’ equipment, including Cisco (IOS, ASA) and Juniper. Preferably with evidence of qualifications and certifications (for example Cisco CCNA or CCNP certifications).
Understanding of Mobile Device Management (MDM) concepts and hands on expirence with MDM products. We'll also need to see these on your CV
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field of study
- Experience working to multiple deadlines Due to the nature of this role you must hold a valid and transferable DV clearance and be able to maintain it moving forwards.
- ms project