- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £33,340.00 - £36,674.00 gross per year
- BRISTOL AVON
Your new role
We are recruiting an Assistant Spatial Planner to join the Operations Directorate, this is a full time permanent position based from our Bristol office with regular travel across the South West region.
You will proactively be engaging with Local Planning Authorities and prospective developers to discharge Highways England's statutory duties, including assessing transport impact of plans and applications on the strategic road network.
What you'll be leading on
* To support Spatial Planners in cooperating with Local Planning Authorities and relevant stakeholders in the development of local plans and strategic growth plans.
* To discharge our statutory responsibilities within the planning process, including the commissioning of specialist consultant support; where necessary escalating more complex cases to the Spatial Planner or Spatial Planning Manager.
* To apply specialist knowledge to evaluate the potential impact and implications of planning applications on the Strategic Road Network to enable a measured, robust and informed response to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the SRN is maintained; where necessary escalating more complex cases to the Spatial Planner or Spatial Planning Manager.
* To prepare and write planning application responses and reports, and support Spatial Planners prepare reports and responses on more complex cases.
* To support ongoing liaison with key external stakeholders, through attendance at local planning meetings and other planning or discussion forums, providing evidence-based and transparent guidance and advice on future local plans, as well as sharing information of Highways England's emerging strategies and future development works for the region.
* To support the attendance of Spatial Planners in representing the Region at public examinations, appeals and public inquiries
To be successful
* Understanding of spatial planning legislation and development management
* Thorough understanding of the relevant departmental and company-wide procedures, policies and guidelines.
* Awareness and knowledge of duties to be discharged through relevant statutory and regulatory duties, operational standards, service delivery manuals, requirements and guidance
* Experience of working with consultants efficiently to achieve desired outcomes
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
Please click here for the full role profile
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.