- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
About McCarthy Tétrault:
McCarthy Tétrault is a Canadian law firm that offers a full range of legal and business solutions to clients in Canada and around the world. McCarthy Tétrault delivers integrated business, litigation, tax, real property, and labour and employment solutions through its offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montréal, Québec City, New York and London.
The firm’s dispute resolution team in London handles a range of high value domestic high court and international litigation assignments relating to tax and financial services and international arbitration for a range of oil and mining companies. The Associate will be required to work as a qualified lawyer (foreign and/or UK qualified) as part of a small team in London and to assume significant responsibility for day to day tasks in order to facilitate in the development of this successful practice in London and across McCarthy Tétrault’s global network.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Advising clients in the oil, gas, mining and financial sectors in relation to a host of complex litigation and arbitration issues.
2. Reviewing complex legal agreements and extensive documentation.
3. Preparing and drafting detailed legal submissions.
4. Organizing the management, collection, listing and interrogation and review of disclosable documents.
5. Providing practical legal guidance in advising and consulting with clients on highly complex, large scale litigation and arbitration cases.
6. Interviewing factual witnesses and drafting witness statements.
7. Instruction of industry and legal experts to act as expert witnesses.
8. Undertaking research and conveying results of legal analysis to clients or updating team regarding complex legal practice and procedures.
9. Instructing and liaising with external law firms and counsel.
10. Developing and maintaining strong and working profitable relationships with existing corporate oil, gas and mining clients and other corporate groups whilst leveraging your own network and existing clients of McCarthy Tétrault.
11. Representing McCarthy Tétrault as an associate in the litigation and arbitration group to build close working relationships with clients.
12. Attending and presenting arguments at court and before a tribunal.
Required academic and legal professional certificates. In addition to education, required work experience, includes:
1. Significant experience and knowledge of large-scale and complex domestic and international litigation disputes and international arbitration.
2. Experience of working closely with oil and gas and mining industries.
3. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to form close working relationships with clients.
4. Day to day experience of handling a complex and high value contentious caseload.
5. Extensive knowledge and use of e-disclosure platforms.
6. Between 3 to 5 years’ qualification as a lawyer, with a preferred licence to practice UK law or a licence to practice law in another jurisdiction with a Common Law legal system and intention to convert this qualification to practice in the UK.
7. Outstanding academics gained from a leading University with training received at a leading national or international law firm.
Required experience with: computer or other technological equipment, including experience with specific legal software; knowledge/experience in specific practice areas and work processes/protocols within the contentious legal sector.
1. Strong attention to detail with excellent spelling, grammar and proof-reading skills.
2. Aptitude and interest in preparing documentation to an exceptionally high standard in compliance with house-style requirements.
3. Ability to work both independently and within a team as required under considerable pressure and for extensive periods.
4. Capability to assume significant responsibility and ensure follow-up on tasks, without prompting (autonomously)
5. Responsible approach to your duties and the ability to take the initiative.
6. Capacity to uphold confidentiality.
All candidates should apply with a covering letter with their CV via the Indeed website with the subject line ‘Application for Associate Litigation and Arbitration Group position’.
Closing date for applications: 16 May 2019
Posting date: 18 April 2019
Job Type: Contract
Salary: £70,000.00 to £75,000.00 /year